Flippin' peat pots

• 9 Replies

Oscar Too

Flippin' peat pots
« on: June 27, 2007, 13:57 »
We've had earlier conversations about peat pots going mouldy.  Now I find that they have caused my lettuce to bolt.

I sowed some oakleaf in peat pots and planted out when at three inches.  A bit of weeding and a break while I was travelling.  Went back to the allotment yesterday to find the lettuce bolting.

When I pulled up a couple, I found that the roots had not been able to push through the pots.  In fact they pulled out, pot and all, like a little plug, not the big round rootball and root that I am used to with lettuce.  This despite the fact that I had disrupted the pot before planting.

Quite annoyed.

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with peat pots?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 14:38 »
Yup - my sweet corn did very well in them, roots pushing well through before planting.

Will probably learn origami over winter (I could do with a second language) and make some of those more ecologically sound newspaper pots though.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

steampig

Re: Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 14:53 »
Quote from: "Oscar Too"
.....Has anyone had a GOOD experience with peat pots?

No, but I think if you really soak the peat pot before use it helps
Eat all, drink all, pay nowt.
Hear all, see all, say nowt.
And if ever tha' does owt f' nowt
Make sure tha' does it f' thi 'sen

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 15:02 »
I have used some this year as I was given a load, before I transplant I ripped the bottom off. Seem to be doing ok.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 15:31 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
I have used some this year as I was given a load, before I transplant I ripped the bottom off. Seem to be doing ok.

They were very cheap in Tesco.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

brucesgirl

Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 15:40 »
I have never had any problems with peat pots, but I always keep them wet and plant them wet, but maybe it is because I am on clay soil so they stay wet!! I am going on to newspaper ones next year though as an experiment.

mushroom

Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 15:58 »
I spent a few quid in homebase the other day and saw, along with various germinating trays, some makes of tray had a peat pellet at the bottom. After watering, the plug swells to about 5 times its original height, I was most impressed. Then add a seed on the top. I can't see the roots having difficulty in breaking out of that, it looks like it will fall apart if it is lifted.

I wonder if, say, 100 of these pellets can be bought? They have a very fine fibre around them that the soil seems to digest. Peat pots seem much more solid.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 16:14 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

I wonder if, say, 100 of these pellets can be bought? They have a very fine fibre around them that the soil seems to digest. Peat pots seem much more solid.

Yes - for example..Here

mushroom

Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 16:27 »
cheers Digger   :D
Yes this is exactly what I was looking for. Didnt realise u had to squeeze em tho  :shock:

tomato-joy

Flippin' peat pots
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 18:02 »
I've not had much fun with the peat pots - I lost my first set of sweetcorn as they just couldn't push through the pots, and my first lot of fennel as well, as they managed to push some strong roots through the corners but not much else - will def be making newspaper pots for next year.
trying to be organic...

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
peat pots

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 19:35
by rowlandwells
xx
Peat pots

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:51
by DD.
xx
peat pots

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 11:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 36 queries.