storing garlic

• 5 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
storing garlic
« on: July 14, 2010, 19:09 »
once i have pulled up my garlic what is the best way to store it?
do i get rid of all the leaves and keep the bulbs in a net of somekind or what. also once i pull them do i need to leave them to dry out first.

many thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: storing garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 19:26 »
Yes you need to let it dry out thoroughly before storing, in the sun if it reappears, then under cover for a while.

I've seen people tie them by their dried leaves, and others pull the leaves off and store them in nets or other dry places. 

I'm going to move this thread across to the Cooking Storing & Preserving board for more ideas there  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:09 »
When mine has dried, I usually leave it for about four weeks, I peel it all and then 'whizz' it in a food processor, cram it into steralized coffee jars and then cover with white wine vinegar. We are just coming to the end of a jar from 2008.  If needed I top up with a bit more vinegar but don't usually have to.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16 »
Ahh good idea about putting in jars, think I will do the same this year - thanks

What I do is trim them to about 10inches of neck, then tie them in bunches of 10 in the garage (it stink in the at the moment :) )

Once dry and chop them down to just the bulb and hang in garage in orange bags. or pop socks

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 18:54 »
Another way I have had success with is to peel the cloves and put them whole in olive oil (in a clean jar) they will keep like this in the fridge for approximately a year.  You can scoop out what is needed for cooking (without having garlic smelling hands) eventually the disintegrate in the oil which looks like butter and this is delicious if used to fry things in
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 19:22 »
mmmmm I like the sound of that  :D

Leave some as bulbs to use for the next few months or so, and put the rest in oil. Then when the whole ones start to get horrible there will be the ones in oil to fall back on. Great idea!

xx
Storing Garlic

Started by TEYman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 08:25
by DD.
xx
storing garlic

Started by parttimer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 21:27
by bravemurphy
xx
storing garlic

Started by brownp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 23:01
by flitwickone
xx
Storing garlic and onions

Started by brownp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 21:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 29 queries.