introducing chickens...a bit of advice please

• 4 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
introducing chickens...a bit of advice please
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:51 »
Hi all,

We introduced our 2 legbars to the rest of the girls on Sunday (under the cover of darkness). There haven't been any major "Ding Dongs" but the big girls won't let the newbies outside, they chase them in again but then leave them alone??? Shall I leave them to it or should I make the newbies go out?

thanks
Colette
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Sassy

Re: introducing chickens...a bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54 »
As there soesn't seem to be any major scrapping I would leave them to it. They will soon settle down. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 15:47 »
It is hard to do nothing but they will soon come out on there own. I would just leave them to it. If you have got room put some extra feeders down along with water. I also put in a couple of buckets on the sides so that the new ones can get into for a bit of protection if they start to fight.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 18:30 »
Be a little careful.  It's usual behaviour if new chickens turn up the old ones will defend their territory and try to drive the new ones off.  Part of this behaviour is to guard their food and water so as jeanette suggests having several feeders and drinkers scattered about will ensure they have an opportunity to feed and most importantly drink.  Hand feeding corn might help them to start to integrate.  Ideally a more gradual introduction would have been better but they will eventually integrate and then the pecking order disputes will start and once that's sorted peace will reign.
HF
Truth through science.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30 »
They are all in a new run and shed, so really it isn't anyone's territory as such. They had previously been in runs next to each other and could see each other all day, they have all been out in the garden together with no probs.  But the newbies are bein kept indoors by the big ones. I have put extra feeders and water containers in now.  Will wait and see. Thanks for the advice.

C

xx
introducing new pup to chickens - advice please!

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 11:23
by Spana
xx
Introducing new chickens

Started by mambo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 07:31
by mambo
xx
introducing new chickens

Started by buggy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2006, 09:53
by buggy
xx
introducing new chickens

Started by ktc on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:55
by nic n dave

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 30 queries.