moving raspberrys?

• 7 Replies

mrsparsnip

moving raspberrys?
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:21 »
when is the best time to move raspberrys?  I have found amongst the weeds five very nice canes, only they are in full sun and I read they need some shade?  they are producing fruit now, and so I am assuming they are worth keeping?

i have made space in my plans for a fruit cage which is part shade so would like to pop them in there.

can I also just say, I popped into my plot this morning at 7am (whilst out walking the dog) and what a lovely feeling to be there in the cooler weather with no one about!
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

milkman

moving raspberrys?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 10:12 »
I popped to my plot at 4.45am this morning hoping to be "the early bird catching the worm" so to speak and take advantage of maximum water pressure down the hosepipe, only to find a stream of plot holders following in my wake all with the same great idea... :roll:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
moving raspberrys?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55 »
you should move your raspberries when they are completely dormant - this might be anytime from late October onwards but most probably not until November. I transplanted some of mine in February but they were just starting to come to life with tiny buds - they survived but I have deminished fruit this year
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

noshed

moving raspberrys?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 15:22 »
I think they do like a bit of shade - mine seem to be struggling with the heat and drought. Although the fruit was absolutely delicious.
They seem to put up with being moved about OK in the winter or early spring. Although the suckers merrily come up everywhere, no matter what your plans are!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

hermon

moving raspberrys?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20 »
do the suckers fruit?

mrsparsnip

moving raspberrys?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:14 »
there is some fruit on there at the moment.  I am going to pick some later to check they are ok to eat!  they ahev been dwarfed by weeds for the past year or two so not sure what condition they are in.  maybe the weeds have provided some shade and they will be ok to move?

Jake

• Rockers
moving raspberrys?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 21:25 »
Quote from: "lentil987"
you should move your raspberries when they are completely dormant - this might be anytime from late October onwards but most probably not until November. I transplanted some of mine in February but they were just starting to come to life with tiny buds - they survived but I have deminished fruit this year

This is probably very good advice.

But for the record, I have never read about raspberries yet have been very successful. I have them in the garden and as they shoot up in the lawn so much I just assumed they were very hardy. As long as they've had no leaves I've dug them up, planted in pots and at the plot. None have died. I've also eaten the really small ones that seem a bit stunted. They are lovely.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

mrsparsnip

moving raspberrys?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:07 »
Quote from: "Jake"
Quote from: "lentil987"

This is probably very good advice.

But for the record, I have never read about raspberries yet have been very successful. I have them in the garden and as they shoot up in the lawn so much I just assumed they were very hardy. As long as they've had no leaves I've dug them up, planted in pots and at the plot. None have died. I've also eaten the really small ones that seem a bit stunted. They are lovely.

excellent advice!  I will leave them where they are for now then.  so far all I have inherited on the plot, are raspberrys, rubarb and a cute wheel barrow with a big hole! :)  I'll leave the rubarb where it is :)

xx
Raspberrys

Started by Waynestrout on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 11:57
by muntjac
xx
Help with Raspberrys

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:17
by Trillium
xx
Raspberrys

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:01
by Goosegirl
xx
Time for Raspberrys.

Started by miggs on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 19:44
by greenjay

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 27 queries.