Broody?

• 8 Replies

Draindragon

Broody?
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:54 »
Hello,

One of new girls has just starting laying! Yippee. I have just been out to check up and take out there breakfast. She is sitting in the rabbit hutch on three eggs. The are all hers and the other 3 girls have laid in the coup! She is grumpy too! We do not have a cockerel!

Suggestions please!

Sara

carolbriar

Re: Broody?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 14:21 »
Remove the eggs as soon as you can after she has laid.  That is all I can think of but it does sound as if she could be becoming broody. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

NooNoosdad

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 16:46 »
 ??? I sypathise with you. My 'star layer' Annabelle who is a 22 week old Black Rock Hen started this 'Broody Malarchy' over a week ago and I am now getting thoroughly P*ssed off with her. In the morning she refuses to come out of the Coop and insists on lying in one of my two Nestboxes and making strange noises. I have to physically remove her and shove her in the Run so at least she gets some food and water. She only stays in the run for a short time then returns. She is laying and I remove the eggs as soon as I can. This behaviour is upsetting my other two Black Rocks who now think that they don't need to produce any eggs. On the odd occasion that they have actually managed to get in to lay, Annabelle has damaged their eggs by knocking them out of the Nesting box into the droppings tray beneath. I have no solutions but having read other postings it would appear I may have to put up with it for upto a further two weeks.

taximan

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 18:04 »
four of mine have been like this for amounth ,tried the bucket of water ,didnt work .now the dog cages are coming out ,im gonna get tough with them.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 21:22 »
Yep my hybrid is at it too and has been for nearly 3 weeks.

For the last 4 days my routine has been this - let them out into the run first thing and remove Gladys from the nest box where she will have moved and been sitting over night and dump her in the run, leave the coop open until the two other hens have laid, remove the eggs from underneath Gladys where she have moved them quick as a flash, remove Gladys from the nest box again and shut the coop door so she can't get back in, watch her behave almost like a normal chicken all day, that is until early evening when I block up the nest box and open the coop door so they can go inside and roost when they want and she runs straight in and settles down next to the partition I have set up, after dark I put her on the perch, before bed I check she's still on the perch and remove the partition from the nest box just in case one of the laying girls has the urge to pass an early morning egg. Next morning Gladys will be back in the next box sitting on nothing and the whole thing starts again...

She is noticably more grumpy when out during the day and I have seen her pecking the other girls which she never did before. She also screeches and tries to peck me when I take her from the nextbox. I have tried putting an ice pack (wrapped in a towel but still cold) underneath her and she just sat on it, I have tried a cold bath...which was 'interesting' but hasn't changed anything.

It is really frustrating - want her to start behaving normally and start laying again and can now understand why people 'give in' and get eggs for their broodies to sit on as she is totally not 'herself'.  :( >:(

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 21:57 »
But it's so enjoyable to watch your broody settle on some fertile eggs and hatch them out. Ours our almost 3 weeks old and I'm so looking forward to when they begin to lay eggs themselves, because I will know exactly what they've been fed and how they have been raised since they were born. Sounds a bit daft I know, but still somehow comforting  :)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 22:32 »
Oh yes, I'm sure that's also the case, not saying there's anything against allowing your broody hen to hatch eggs if you have the space and can cope with the results. Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't have the space and I'm not sure I could cull the boys.

What I'm saying I can see why people in the same position as me (who shouldn't really be doing it) do get their broodies fertile eggs, despite this, cause they just want their hens to be happy/normal again! :D

bee

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52 »
I 'cured' my white sussex bantam by isolating her in a separate ark. After a day of being separated from her friends she stopped brooding, then a few days later started laying again. I did this in despair having each day chucked/locked her out of the hen house for a couple of weeks, which did no good at all. She just moped in the run. I felt rotten doing it, but it certainly woke her up being away from her two chums. Mind you, she hasn't shown any signs yet of growing back the feathers she plucked out to warm the eggs better. 

broodyhen

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:10 »
It all depends on if you want chicks?? I had a very broody speckledy (Patricia) last summer (first for us and her!!) we put 6 fertile eggs from a friend and bingo they ALL hatched 3 weeks later!

She has since gone broody back in June and I kept fetching her off the nest and closing it(much to her disgust) but after seversal days she got the message and just sulked. We had no eggs off her for about 3 weeks too.  She is fine and dandy now however I am battling a huge red mite investation  :(

Good luck  broodyhen x

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 2.561 seconds with 30 queries.