Advice on when to harvest

• 2 Replies

matt80

Advice on when to harvest
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:29 »
Shallots - some of my shallots are really starting to wilt over, which I know is a sign that they should be harvested. However, they don't have much of a skin yet (just a single very thin layer in places). Should I leave them in the ground, or lift them and leave them in the sun?

Potatoes - 2nd earlies have been in 13 weeks but some of them are starting to wilt over and the foilage is looking very limp and pale. Seems a bit early for this to happen?

PennyS

• My website
Re: Advice on when to harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34 »
Not sure - I'm in the same position.  Shallots yesterday were looking like they might be "ready".  Some of them were loose so I took them home and they're drying in my patio greenhouse (the cover's open and the sides raised, so they are sitting on the wire mesh shelf out of the rain).  We've had such dry weather I wondered if they were looking prematurely ready because everything is so dry.

We've got rain forecast for the rest of the week here so I'll have a look after the weekend at whether to harvest the remainder.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along who can give a more informed response!  It's my first year with shallots.  It won't be my last - they are so easy to grow aren't they!!

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice on when to harvest
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42 »
Shallots - some of my shallots are really starting to wilt over, which I know is a sign that they should be harvested. However, they don't have much of a skin yet (just a single very thin layer in places). Should I leave them in the ground, or lift them and leave them in the sun?

The natural division and bulb growth of shallots tends to force the foliage nearer to the ground, but they will still be contributing to the bulb development. The foliage will then start to die off, at which point you can ease them from the ground for a few days to start the maturing and drying process. The bulbs will then need to lifted, separated and properly dried to make sure they store well.

Potatoes - 2nd earlies have been in 13 weeks but some of them are starting to wilt over and the foilage is looking very limp and pale. Seems a bit early for this to happen?

Once the foliage has died back that's about it for spuds, and there is always the possibility they have suffered some sort of problem causing that to happen too early, and this year drought is another potential cause. Dig up the most "gone over" plant and see what you've got; if the yield is poor leave the others for as long as possible.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
our first harvest

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 11, 2010, 08:24
by PennyS

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 29 queries.