Silt/sandy soil identification

• 8 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Silt/sandy soil identification
« on: July 11, 2010, 20:55 »
I've always grown on heavy clay with no problems except the obvious.  However, when I moved I had to import tons of topsoil from a few miles away. I would like to identify what type of soil it is so I can grow better crops in it.

In its dry state it is dark and very crumbly like sand.  When it rains it gets a hard pan on the surface.  But, it doesn't feel like sand to the touch.  Given the local geology I suspect silt, but would like to be more positive.

Any suggestions please?  :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Silt/sandy soil identification
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 20:58 »
Sounds like my allotment Ice - Sandy loam. 

Quite sandy, fast draining and the nutrients wash out fast.  Needs loads of humous to hold nutrients in.

The surface cakes after rain or watering so I usually top dress seed rows with some JI compost.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 21:01 by Aunt Sally »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 21:19 »
Ah, but is it sandy or silty loam? :wacko:  Whatever it is I need to sort it out over the winter.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 21:28 »
Take a sample - stuff in a jar, top up with water and let it settle for a few days. Its one of the first things I did when I moved in.

Grain size will tell you if its silt or sand, geology can vary greatly in a very small area, 4 miles either side of where I am is blue clay, but its permian sand stone here.

Heres what my sand looks like
IMG00037-20100518-1719.jpg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 21:30 by Lardman »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 21:44 »
Sounds like my allotment Ice - Sandy loam. 
Quite sandy, fast draining and the nutrients wash out fast.  Needs loads of humous to hold nutrients in.
The surface cakes after rain or watering so I usually top dress seed rows with some JI compost.

It is the same here but over a layer of heavy clay about 18inches down, where it get's nearer the surface it makes a hard pan layer.
When you rub it between your fingers does it feel smooth (silt) or gritty (sand)?
If you plan to do any digging, it's best to dig before hard winter sets in. If you dig in spring like I had to this year you just let all the ground moisture dry out, and it's very difficult to water enough once that's gone :(
With your high raised beds it will be difficult to keep them moist, without lots of manure or compost :(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 22:14 »
Thanks all.  Think I need to stick it in a bottle of water and see what happens.  But, it doesn't feel gritty like sand to the touch.

My raised beds do dry out very quickly, even faster than before.  Really need to sort out the soil with loads of humus this winter.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 22:35 »
Hi Ice; you may find THIS helps you with your mud-pie experiments (going to try it myself if only to relive my schooldays, although I do believe it's a good idea to really know what sort of soil you are dealing with before trying to improve it!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 22:44 »
Thanks all.  Think I need to stick it in a bottle of water and see what happens.  But, it doesn't feel gritty like sand to the touch.

My raised beds do dry out very quickly, even faster than before.  Really need to sort out the soil with loads of humus this winter.

Silt will feel silky, and still pan if dried.

If soaks water up when dried, rather than not [like sand won't] but you are unable to roll it into a sausage; then the betting is silt.

Get it into the jar; fill with water, leave 24 hours then shake, leave another 24 hours - take a good photo and let us see what's there.

The first to drop will be the biggest particles, then sand, then silt then clay [which sometimes stays in the solution and doesn't drop at all] and any organic will float. Ideally, you'd have the same amount of each but lets have a loooksie.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 22:46 »
Wet some and rub it between your fingers, if it is sandy you will feel the grit if it is silty you wont.

xx
Sandy Soil

Started by Reidragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 19:11
by Reidragon
xx
Sandy soil

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 13:47
by oakridge
xx
Leeks and Sandy Soil

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 19:46
by DD.
xx
HHH No 7 Courgettes on poor or sandy soil

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 22:11
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 30 queries.