Can anyone help?

• 4 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Can anyone help?
« on: July 10, 2010, 21:47 »
Years ago my Mum made some wonderful coconut slices, and for some reason I thought about them earlier and phoned her for the recipe, which after all these years she hasn't now got!!! Anyhow, they consisted of a sweet pastry layer on the bottom, then there was a layer of raspberry jam, and it was topped off with a coconut mixture. This coconut mix was fairly dense but in a good way if you know what I mean and it looked roughed up a bit like a Christmas cake. There was nothing extra added to the top layer like sultanas or cherries, but I do know there was more to it than just coconut!!!! I've scoured all my cookery books, and trust me, I have enough to supply the local library, and there's nothing even remotely similar. Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about, and even better, a recipe?!!!!. Thanks as ever. Jude.

Livinhope

Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 21:56 »
I know exactly what you mean and they were delicious.  The topping was softish and sweet and lightly browned but I don't have a clue either.  So I'm hopeless but I would imagine there was dessicated coconut, icing sugar and probably egg white.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 22:00 »
The recipe for coconut tart I have is :-
4 oz shortcrust pastry
Filling 4 x 15 ml ( 4 tbsp ) jam
50g ( 2 oz ) margarine
50g (2 oz ) caster sugar
1 egg size 3
50 g ( 2oz ) desiccated coconut
Method
Heat oven 180 C 350 f Gas mk 4
roll pastry out thinly and line a 7 or 8 inch tin
spread with jam , cream marg and sugar and add egg
and coconut and spread on top of jam . bake for 20 mins
until sponge is risen and golden brown.

sloegin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:54 »
Hi think i found you the recipe
 http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/05/jam-and-coconut-slice-recipe.html.
 I googled "coconut slice". Let me know if this is it x

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:23 »
MOS I was up at a ridiculous hour to try the recipe! but the topping wasn't as I remember, having said that it was delish (no, I didn't eat it for breakfast, I held on until elevenses!), the rest will no doubt be scoffed at lunch. Thank you for posting the recipe.
Sloegin, when the picture came up I whooped with glee - that's exactly how they looked, so thank you so much for going to the trouble of googling it and why did it not occur to me to do the same thing instead of trawling through endless cookery books? Off to get some more coconut, can't wait. Thanks again, Jude.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 28 queries.