feather loss at saddle and vent area

• 4 Replies

Trisha

feather loss at saddle and vent area
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:57 »
My hen who I would have said was the boss has feather loss at the saddle and vent area.  I havent seen any pecking happening between any of them.  The four of them lay every day, are eating and drinking well and just finished a course of worming.

After being on antibiotics for a week they all had a thorough going over from a second vet who gave them a full bill of health.  Whilst there the four of them were sprayed with frontline as a precautionay measure, had there temperature taken, checked for lice/mites etc.

The hen with the feather loss is the biggest bird and is a light sussex.  The others are a black rock and two rhode island reds.  Any ideas as to what is causing this and what I should do. 

Until I get the proper advice, this morning I smeared vic on the areas due to it being greasy and smelly and all I had available.

Trish x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: feather loss at saddle and vent area
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 13:54 »
Are they moulting?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Trisha

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 14:28 »
Are they moulting?

It is just the one bird with the feather loss so I am unsure whether she is just moulting as I wouldnt really know the difference to be honest.  There are no inflamed areas or wounds, would this point to a case of moulting?

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 14:52 »
Is there a cockerel in with them? I was told by a breeder that he would be doing this when he was treading them, I didn't now either until this morning I asked him when I picked up my new Welsummers as my other hens are suffering form this as well, hope this helps, Mike
Mike Rixon

Trisha

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 22:31 »
Is there a cockerel in with them? I was told by a breeder that he would be doing this when he was treading them, I didn't now either until this morning I asked him when I picked up my new Welsummers as my other hens are suffering form this as well, hope this helps, Mike

No Mike it is just the 4 girls I have.  ;) 

Two of my girls when I first got them had been hammered by the cockerel at their previous place and had quite a lot of feather and weight loss, but all the feathers have now grown back and they have put weight on and are wee barrels now.

xx
Bald Vent Area

Started by Chicks@105 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 10:16
by hillfooter
xx
loss of blood from vent

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 09:31
by dollybird
xx
Feather Loss

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 19:28
by grinling
xx
feather loss

Started by tiff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 12:50
by Miller

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.