soggy pumpkins ??

• 4 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
soggy pumpkins ??
« on: July 08, 2010, 15:49 »
Im having a bad year, first bitter carrots and now my pumpkins seem to be rotting or something. I have never grown these before but wanted to try and grow some big ones for november. I planted in half a barrel and the plant is huge with 2 long creepers with quite a few pumpkin on. I have reduced the number of trails to 2, but the ones nearer the end of the plant are going soggy and appear to be rotting.

Is this usual? Am i doing something wrong? They had plenty of manure added and are fed weekly.

Cheers Peeps

Mickeyboy :)
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: soggy pumpkins ??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 16:02 »
How large are the ones which have started rotting mickeyboy?

If they only grew a little bit after the flower fell off and then started rotting they were probably not pollinated.

If they were pollinated and reached a decent size before starting to rot it can only be soft rot caused by prolonged contact with wet soil (pretty unlikely just lately I would have thought!)

Putting a slate or similar underneath the fruits to keep them off the ground can help, also removing the dead remains of the flower after fruit set takes away the risk of rot spreading from there.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 16:21 »
ahhh that may be the answer then, thanks..... They are only about the size of a golfball, then the flower rots and then the pumpkin. Have plenty of what i believe to be male flowers just not enough bees i suppose??

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 19:47 »
Probably; you can do the bees' job with a small paintbrush if you can get to them during the day when the flowers are open!

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 22:13 »
right spent today waiting for flowers to open, which they did and i then transfered the pollen from the male to the female(felt like god for a min,lol). So hopefully i will have at least 3 pumpkins!!
Im also seriously considering setting uo a bee hive.....

xx
Soggy winter! Is there anything to be done now?

Started by texas_gardenia on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 20, 2009, 09:27
by Leedsniner
xx
soggy parsnips

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 20:49
by mr Isaccs
xx
Soggy compost

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:18
by sunshineband
xx
soggy leeks

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 14:08
by Flump

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 29 queries.