Onions for show

• 4 Replies

Tom W.

Onions for show
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:17 »
Hello .... new to the group and looking forward to being educated .... and perhaps helping on the odd occasion.

I have entered our local flower show (14th Aug) and, among other things, plan to show some onions. I have three types Senshyu, Radar and Centurion. The first two are going very well. The Centurion were planted later and are still developing. How far in advance of showing is the ideal time to lift  onions. I seem to recall reading that three weeks or so was about perfect. Any advice or help much appreciated. Many thanks.

Tom   

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onions for show
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 14:20 »
Welcome to the forums Tom.

I don't do show veg, but just to make a comment, that, yes indeed to show them, I'd have thought you'd need to lift in good time to dry them out for exhibition.

The first two are "Japanese" or winter onions, which should be maturing about now. "Centurion", (a cracking onion), won't mature until much later and I doubt whether you get these readyin time for that date.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Tom W.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 21:19 »
Many thanks Dave. I grew Centurion because I remember reading that it was "the one for the show bench" .... but it's all really just for fun among the folks in the small village where I live". I have a small private bet going on with one of my friends on the onions .... he's probably a subscriber to this group too :-))) The Senshyu and Radar look good (I didn't know Radar was Japanese too) so I guess I'll lift them in a couple of weeks and reach for the raffia. As I said - it's only for fun. I think the entry fee is 50p and the 1st prize is £1.50 - got to keep it quiet however - there may well be tax implications ;-))

Thanks again!

Spana

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 21:55 »
Make sure you read the class well.  We have a class for  '' 3 Spring grown onions from seed or sets '' and they are shown as lifted still with tops and roots.

Tom W.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 22:53 »
Thanks Spana. I'll be sure to read the rules carefully.

xx
show onions 2

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 22:03
by vegmandan
xx
onions to show

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 27, 2023, 21:21
by AndyRVTR
xx
Show Onions

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 16:35
by AndyRVTR
xx
onions to show

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 22:37
by Steve.B

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 28 queries.