Sour Crop help needed!!!

• 5 Replies

Goldfinger

Sour Crop help needed!!!
« on: July 06, 2010, 20:36 »
I'm currently dealing with one of my girls having sour crop, been 3 days now. (I've read up on all the symptoms etc).
And I just want to know what else I can do??

So far I've,

Separated her, (into a cat box with water and 'wet' cat food. Is this ok for being 'soft food' (fish flavour)??),
Emptied her crop (several times now, but it just keeps refilling)
And given her some bio yogurt as suggested on here.

I don't want to go to the vets (yet), because she's picked up a bit today and money's a bit tight at mo.

Is there anything else I can do??  :( :( :(

ehs284

Re: Sour Crop help needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37 »
I'm not an expert, so please check everything. When you say,'Fish flavoured' - is this cat food? If so, I'd suggest you may be better with mash or pellets because the cat food will tend to slow the time for the crop establishing the acidity it needs to overcome the problem. Fruit should help and few birds can resist a grape. A little ACV in the water will help.

For more expert members -
This site has some interesting information:
http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1188
and shows using a syringe to wash out. Does anybody do this and has it been successful? It also suggests copper sulphate which is interesting as this is often used in water to kill algae and fungi but is toxic to fish and makes humans vomit. Has anybody seen this used in the UK? Answers would be useful as a search (when panicking) will bring up your comments.

MrsC

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29 »
Have just been through this myself (well, my hen has). 

Don't give pellets! 

Give her plenty of water, put apple cider vinegar in it if you have, if not crushed garlic is good for digestion.  Give her a teaspoon of olive oil a couple of times a day, and one at bedtime.  Plain live yoghurt is good, as is pureed apple. 

Every hour or so if you can massage her crop and tip her upside down for her to bring the gunk up.  Give her time to breath in between bring it up though. 

Good luck! 

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09 »
Hi I'm Goldfinger's OH. I've just come home to check on her and she has passed away! poor thing!   :(

We really want to replace her with another hen.... do we go for just 1 or more? I've been told (by a breeder i might add) than she will get bullied if we only get 1. We've got plenty space for maybe a couple more.

Do you think that the breeder just wants a better sale?

please help
Thanks
Gill

MrsC

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:29 »
Hi really sorry to hear that. 

Two together being introduced to an existing group will get on much better than just one.  One is definitely more likely to be picked on. 

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 22:06 »
Gill, Sorry, but - Best of luck with your two new birds.
MrsC; can you say more about your experiences please? What happened, what result and why you don't advise pellets. All too often when searching for help in a hurry we can find people asking the question and some answers, but it is hard to find a first hand account of how things develop. Thanks.

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
sour crop ?maybe

Started by Lyn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 15:08
by Lyn
xx
Sour crop..maybe?

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 19:26
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 29 queries.