Question about Outdoor gherkin Polan F1

• 2 Replies

woodpile

Question about Outdoor gherkin Polan F1
« on: July 03, 2010, 19:31 »
Outdoor gherkin Polan F1
I have started growing two of them in a bucket on my balcony and they are about two foot long now. One has two female flowers (with the little tiny gerkin already there), the other has one male, then one female, then another male (working from the base up), as I had already removed two male flowers (possibly in error) but now I am not at all sure whether to remove all the male flowers or not.

As far as I understand, some varieties need the male flowers to pollinate, some don't and get bitter if pollination happens.

Wiki says this:

Flowering and pollination

A few varieties of cucumber are parthenocarpic, the blossoms creating seedless fruit without pollination. Pollination for these varieties degrades the quality. In the US, these are usually grown in greenhouses, where bees are excluded. In Europe, they are grown outdoors in some regions, and bees are excluded from these areas. Most cucumber varieties, however, are seeded and require pollination. Thousands of hives of honey bees are annually carried to cucumber fields just before bloom for this purpose. Cucumbers may also be pollinated by bumblebees and several other bee species.

Symptoms of inadequate pollination include fruit abortion and misshapen fruit. Partially pollinated flowers may develop fruit which are green and develop normally near the stem end, but pale yellow and withered at the blossom end.

Traditional varieties produce male blossoms first, then female, in about equivalent numbers. New gynoecious hybrid cultivars produce almost all female blossoms. However, since these varieties do not provide pollen, they must have interplanted a pollenizer variety and the number of beehives per unit area is increased. Insecticide applications for insect pests must be done very carefully to avoid killing off the insect pollinators.

CONFUSED? Me too. Anyway:
The packet is in Lithuanian and said "Seklos" which I took to mean seedless based on a reasonable knowledge of four other european languages and proceeded to remove the first two males a few days ago when there were only two flowers. With me so far? Anyway, my back-up braincell kicked in and I did a google translate on the word "Seklos", it means "Seed"  :wacko:

Logic (wiki) says that as most vars. are seeded and there is now no indication that they are seedless, I should leave the males on. Any ideas on this?

My second question is: What uses are there for bitter gherkins? Can you pickle, chutney or make wine with them? Or should I just let them grow long so I can play golf with the snails?

Thanks in advance, Woodpile
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 19:34 by woodpile »
i want to major in colouring with an emphasis on crayons.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about Outdoor gherkin Polan F1
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 20:35 »
Gherkins are similar to ridge cucumbers, but smaller, you need to leave the flowers on to get any fruit. Once they are 'gherkin' size they are ready, don't let them get too fat.
I had 2 from my few plants today and they tasted lovely :)

woodpile

Re: Question about Outdoor gherkin Polan F1
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 21:05 »
Thanks Lesley, I grew some on a lotty years ago and had no problem so had thought exactly that until I read about the seedless ones and then stupidly assumed Lithuanian would be like most other languages. Sec = seed, los = less/without

Like they say, "Assumption is the mother of all four cups" (that's what it sounded like anyway ;)

xx
Best outdoor gherkin

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 11:10
by lettice
xx
outdoor cucumber question

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 17:14
by totalnovice
xx
outdoor tomato question

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 09:56
by Adrian
xx
Cuc or gherkin?

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:20
by DD.

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 32 queries.