bought a grape vine - what now?

• 2 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
bought a grape vine - what now?
« on: July 03, 2010, 18:45 »
hi im wanting some advise, i have just bought a grape vine and am wanting to plant it outside on the allotment and train it into the greenhouse like i have seen several others do. the question is what do i do now? it says it is 4-6 years old and has 4 largesh bunches of grapes on it. should i plant it now or want untill autumn? how should i prepare the soil etc? i dont really know much about grape vines as ive never had one before. any advise is welcome and appreciated. thanks matt.

woodpile

Re: bought a grape vine - what now?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 20:54 »
Plant it in the sunniest place you have, even if you have to dig up your granny to locate it. :ohmy:

Learn about your variety (low, medium or high vigor) and its natural growth habit (trellis or hedge) and try to emulate this habit as closely as possible.

Plant it 6-8" deep and 6-8" from the wall, then mulch heavily with well-rotted manure.

Prune back 90% of the previous years growth EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL.

Ensure a reliable water supply until the fruit is ripe then reduce it.

If you plant anything within 8 feet of it, make sure they are low demand plants like oregano, thyme, etc as opposed to things like lettuce or cucumber that will drink it dry.

Once established, giving its foliage a vigourous (not too high-pressured) spray of water every now and again in the early morning or evening deters many bugs from getting a foothold, especially red spider mite.

These are just general guidelines and it is really down to you to learn about your specific variety.

Hope this helps, Woodpile ;)
i want to major in colouring with an emphasis on crayons.

Babstreefern

Re: bought a grape vine - what now?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 21:29 »
What I was told when I was in France is that a grapevine, when planted does not require any water or feed (notice that all grapevines are planted on hills).  Its roots will search for water and its own food.  If you water it and feed it, it will only go into the greenery and will not produce much if any fruit.  So just dig it in, and leave it.   

Also, a grapevine should be planted in the early part of the year, so when you plant this, I wouldn't bother harvesting the fruit, leave it until next year to harvest.
Babs

xx
Grape Vine

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 19:18
by bobw1956
xx
grape vine

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 20:03
by hightide
xx
Grape vine

Started by Hillbillypop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 19:40
by realfood
xx
Grape vine

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:02
by gobs

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 36 queries.