Struggling with integration.....

• 6 Replies

chickenmclicken

Struggling with integration.....
« on: July 02, 2010, 17:54 »
Hi

This is my first post, so hi, firstly!

Secondly, we have had 2 chickens for 18 months. They came from a friend who moved abroad, and rather than see them killed, my better half offered to take 2 out of the 50 they had. All has been fine with the exception of one who has been the "Boss Lady" from the beginning. She has always been bossy with the other, but nothing too serious.

Three weeks ago we got two more as we have the room, and I like my little Urban Farm! One is a Cambridge Blue and the other a Black Nero. The Cambridge Blue appears to have settled well with the odd warning from the established chickens, but the Black Nero is being picked on like nothing I can stand to watch by the "Boss Lady" who is a Spanish Bread of some sort. The Boss Lady has also not laid in the 18 months we have had her.

We have tried everything, even naughty step tactics and vinegar in their water etc to try and stop her pecking the Black Nero, to no avail. It is not just the odd peck, it is serious bullying, where she is actually pulling feather from her neck and rather nastily too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not a believer in killing for the sake of it, but if it comes to it..... and are there people who can do this? I could not (call me "chicken" if you like!!)

Thanks for your help.

Chicken McLicken
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 21:48 by Ice »
Chicken McLicken
aka Scott

Grace (Spaniard) Will(hemina) (Black & White!) Miranda (Black Nero) Annabelle (Cambridges Blue)
2 kids and 2 cats!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Struggling with intergration.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 18:02 »
hello and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your poor girl,    If you havnt already tried it, remove the bully girl and put her in a crate or cat box something like that maybe in your garage so shes away from the girls.   Leave her (obviously with food and water) for a couple of days and then re-introduce her to your girls, the reason for this that hopefully in her absence the pecking order will be changed and putting your bully girl in after a few days will hopefully put her to the bottom of the pecking order.    You could also try fitting her with a beak ring, its perfectly safe to do so, they stop the hen closing her mouth fully so she wont be able to get hold of her victim, she will be able to eat and drink perfectly fine.    Hope you can get it sorted.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 18:13 »
Are you sure Boss Lady is a Lady?

Grabbing feathers on the neck is a very cockerel thing to do.  I have found that when hens peck at each other they go for the top of the head or in the middle of the back.  They also tend just to peck too.  Feather pulling usually starts with their frilly knickers.

chickenmclicken

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 18:17 »
Some good suggestions, thank you. We only have a very small pet carrier, so not too sure if that will do it?

We have asked ourselves that question about her being a lady on several occasions..... We are convinced she is, as she does not "look" like a male......................... How would we know? (We are VERY new to this part!!!!)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 19:04 »
Post a photo for us to admire :) and we can have a guess!

chickenmclicken

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 21:17 »
Here is the little blighter (front of picture)
Grace.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 21:45 »
I guess I am lucky with my boys (cockerels and guineas as non have gone for my chicks - although my banty broody did go for a guinea even though he was no where near her chick today - she is very very protective of her one chick (she only had 1 out of 4 hatch in this lot so guess she feels it is even more precious)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Integration

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Integration of new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:06
by bantam novice
xx
Premature integration

Started by jhub on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 23:36
by jhub
question
New Girls.... How long for integration?

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 19:25
by Prod

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.