Gooseberry bushes loads of growth no fruit.

• 3 Replies

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
Gooseberry bushes loads of growth no fruit.
« on: July 01, 2010, 14:35 »
I took over my lottie last year and needed to move 3 gooseberry bushes to another part of the plot.  They seem to take fine and have grown lots of new shoots.  The problem is they have got no fruit on them.  The bushes on the next plot are weighed down with green gosseberries.  Any ideas?
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

paintedlady

Re: Gooseberry bushes loads of growth no fruit.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 15:34 »
From personal experience, my gooseberries didn't start flowering/producing fruit until at least 3-4 years old (I also got a bad case of sawfly and total leaf strip 2 years on the trot  :mad:) then last year I got a grand total of 4 gooseberries from 3 plants, and this year there are loads  :D

To answer your question, it might depend on the age though I really don't know if this is the case, and secondly the move might have disturbed them.  A couple of years ago when Monty on GW was planting out gooseberries, I'm sure he made a point of saying that gooseberries do not need too much manure/compost - if you have added extra to the planting holes, perhaps the plants have sacrificed the flowers/fruit in favour of leaf?

Whatever the reason, as you have only recently moved the gooseberries, perhaps it is as well they are not producing fruit this year but will give them time to settle in and fingers crossed for next year  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 15:51 »
The bushes are quite old so it is probably not age.  I did dig in lots of compost before moving the gooseberries and currant bushes.  I then mulched them with manure in January so the extra leaf production could be from the extra food.  Does anyone know when to prune because they are vicious thorns and I do not want the kids getting cut to pieces.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 16:18 »
Prune late autumn, when all the leaves have dropped off.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Gooseberry bushes have no fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:41
by BigPaddy
xx
Gooseberry bushes dropping fruit

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 22:19
by JohnB47
xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
Gooseberry bush growth

Started by Dominic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:23
by Dominic

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 36 queries.