anybody know how to grow corriander

• 29 Replies

doubledug

• Experienced Member
anybody know how to grow corriander
« on: July 01, 2010, 13:02 »
I reckon i can grow anything with a certain amount of success apart from this tasty herb. No matter what i do it always goes to seed prematurely, I am on my fourth attempt this year and there off and bolting again. I have a new variety to experiment with called confetti, any tips gratefuly received.   

noshed

Re: anybody know how to grow corriander
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 14:43 »
The confetti stuff is quite good I've found.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 15:15 »
I've grown coriander for the first time this year and it's fine.  I don't know the variety but it was from Marshalls herbs.

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 15:29 »
This is no help but i grew coriander for the firt time ever last year and it was a dismal failure other herbs were brilliant. I decided this year to put my herb garden some where else and dug up everything and moved it.

Now I have a wonderful herb garden with only one herb in it. Yes you got it the place i planted the coriander in last year is over run with beautiful plants. I still have none in my herb garden but the old herb bed is festuned with dahlias'. marigolds and coriander by the thousand lol

xxxxxxxx

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 15:57 »
All I have needed to do is go away when it was going to seed 5 years ago and now watch it grow every year.  I have not planted any new and currentl I have about 6 plants leafing nicely.  I will let one go to seed and let them fall off.  It is lazy gardening but it works.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

purplebean

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 16:41 »
I was going to say that I know how to kill it as I have just been out and found my plant dead, but then I remembered it was caraway not corriander still dead though  :(

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 17:38 »
There was recent discussion on the Forum which was really helpful - http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=58152.0

I grew Confetti, but I didn't like it.  It doesn't look like the supermarket coriander or even taste very nice IMO.  It does germinate readily which I often find a problem with coriander but that's the only advantage. 

I sowed the variety Leisure which was recommended (from DT Brown) on 10 June - some into the ground and some in a pot.  No sign of germination on the allotment - probably too dry - and germination in the pot took 11 days and was sparse, but the seedlings are now growing well, so I'm looking forward to some big flat tasty leaves :) .

If anyone has any views on the advantage of pre-soaking or crushing the seeds (as they are actually seed capsules like chard) I would be interested.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 17:47 »
I have a big pot of standard coriander that is doing very nicely, and I harvested it a couple of times already. It's been sown outdoors in a large pot after last frost date, directly outdoors in rich, well draining soil. I crushed the seeds slightly (just cracked the outer shell). It's been watered every day, and it's in a spot where it receives sun in the morning and in part of the afternoon. Apart from the occasional aphid showing some interest, it's been trouble free until now.
It's the first time I grow it, so I might have just lucked out and I'll never be able to grow it again...

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 18:07 »
No, I don't think it was just luck - I suspected crushing the seeds slightly might help and have done it myself in the past, but not kept any records of success or otherwise so I will try it again.  Thanks oldcow

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 19:49 »
you all seem to agree that it looks after itself. Perhaps that is where i am going wrong, I have no problem getting it to germinate but having heard that it is fussy about growing conditions I have molly coddled it too much by the sounds of it. Well thats it from now on once its germinated its out into the big wide border and it can take care of itself. 

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 20:06 »
I also find coriander a bit erratic in it's growing habits.  "Confetti" is slow to bolt, which is why I grew it last year.  The taste was good but there wasn't enough leaf for my liking. 

I've read that coriander "Cilantro" is slower to bolt, though not tried it yet.  I always thought cilantro was just Spanish for coriander and didn't realise that it is a variety of it's own.  Please feel free to put me right on that as not entirely sure.

Cheese makes everything better.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 21:25 »
I usually buy my coriander seeds from wilkos,their own brand seeds its the leaf variety ,very cheap and i just keep sowing a pot every three weeks or so.
Just put the seed in mp compost cover an inch or so ,keep moist and it should come through no problem.
I seen an indian fellow on a gardening program once,he put the seeds on a flat brick,then gently scrubbed another brick on top of the seed which broke them in two giving him twice as many seeds as he grew a lot of coriander,ive tried it and its easy enough but i dont usually bother myself.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 21:41 »
I've read that coriander "Cilantro" is slower to bolt, though not tried it yet.  I always thought cilantro was just Spanish for coriander and didn't realise that it is a variety of it's own.  Please feel free to put me right on that as not entirely sure.

I think technically cilantro is the name for the vegetation, i.e. leaf, and coriander is the name for the seed, but both refer to the same plant.

I've grown coriander the last couple of years, never did anything special to the seed, two different varieties and both germinated very well. The first year it did bolt and I was told it was because I'd started them off in pots and transplanted seedlings to the bed, and apparently that always tends to make it bolt because it doesn't like being moved. This year I sowed the seeds directly into the bed and they've been fine, with no sign of bolting so far.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 21:47 »
My coriander was grown in situ this year as well shokkyy and so far, so good.

It's difficult for me to judge things as I moved home in February and although it wasn't far I had to import topsoil by the ton.  This soil is completely different to anything I had been growing in before.

isis

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:53 »
Hello Im a newbie here.
I just want to say ive planted coriander lately and chitting them was quite successful. I only planted out the ones that come out. Try putting the seeds in a damp paper towel. then put the paper towel inside an airtight container. wait for a week or so.. checking it every now and then. plant only the ones that come out of the seed shell.

xx
Corriander

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 15:11
by Lardman
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.984 seconds with 31 queries.