New chicken owner

• 17 Replies

LilRed

• Chace
New chicken owner
« on: June 30, 2010, 23:05 »
Hi just wondering if anyone has any advice on chicken sanitation? I've sprayed the coop with poultry shield. I have some diatom but I'm not sure how to use it?  :wacko:I'm picking up my girls in the morning.

Many thanks in advance
My girls the magnificent 7! Isadora, Martha, Clara, Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane, Roxanne & Maggie May.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: New chicken owner
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21 »
hello and welcome to the forum, you must be well excited about getting your girls this morning, looking forward to seeing some piccys when you get them.    With regards to sanitation wot i do is do a clean out every week using poultry shield and diatom,   thoroughly clean out the nest boxes and coup floor,   i give a light spraying of virkon, let dry and then i spray poultry sheild like a mad woman, into all the cracks,   i pop diatom then under where the perches sit and on the end of each perch, i also lightly sprinkle in the nest boxes on top of there bedding, not too much though as you dont want too much dust about.    I use shavings in my nest boxes, i line them with a few sheets of newspaper first though.   Then your good to go, let us know wot your getting.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 15:30 »
Thanks for the advice, we are completely new to this and after loads of Reading I still feel like Im in the dark!! I sprinkled some diatom in the nest box, but will do the perch in the morning, I did spray poultry shield around the whole coop. Is diatom sufficient as a wormer in their food to?

We picked up the girls this morning, the magnificent 7!
They are Cornish Meadows (red, ranger, Amber, speckled and a silver) and two Bovan Nera's, will post pictures as soon as the rain stops enogh to take one :( How long roughly before they start laying? They are only just on layers pellets now.
It is very exciting and I think I should have asked more questions to the breeder but caught up in the moment watching him net them! Hubby and I clipped their wings before we put them in the coop and although scary at first it was easier than I thought. They seem quite happy but I'm not sure if one of them has a sligtly small top beak? Will try and get a picture later to put on here. They are lovely, I'm already hooked!!!!! =)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 15:34 »
Use flubenvet as a wormer, diatom is not sufficient it is only a preventative measure with no guarantee that it will work. Most chickens start to lay around the 24 weeks but they could start anytime between 17 and 35 weeks although you do get the odd one who never lays - my sablepoot is a year old and still hasn't laid a single egg  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 15:41 »
Arh they sound lovely,  as far as wormers go you are best getting flubenvent for them, you can get this from your vets, you mix it into the girls layer pellets over a 7 day period, you can still eat the eggs as well.   It would probably do them no harm to do them now if the breeder hadnt already done so.    With regards to laying eggs, they prehaps sound a bit young at them moment if they have only just gone onto layers pellets, a good indication that they are start to lay is reddening of the comb and it growing up if you know wot i mean and also if they start squatting down in front of you can also be a sign,   Poultry sheild sprayed all over the house will be sufficent, just make sure you get in all those knooks and crannys and youve already said you have sprinkled diatom aswell.    I would keep them shut up in their coop for a good few hours so it inprints on them that this is their new house or you could just keep them locked up and let them out first thing in the morning.   Make sure they get a good feed of layers pellets during the day before you start giving any treats, i usually wait until late afternoon, they get their cabbage and stuff and about 7ish i give them a small handfull of mixed corn.    Looking forward to seeing piccys and if you have any questions dont be afraid to post on here theres always someone that will answer them for you no matter how stupid you think they sound.   nickyx

Trisha

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 15:44 »
Hello and welcome to the forum, good luck with your chooks  :)

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 15:49 »
He just said they were pol I didn't think to ask exactly. They all have varying types of combs, some are still small and pale, some are nearly red and puffy and some are in between. Looking forward to those first eggs. I will contact the vet in the morning and ask about flubo, thank you.

I put some kale and some apple in as a treat, perhaps it was a bit early
x

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 17:58 »
congratulations on joining the rest of us chookie mad peeps  :tongue2:

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 23:30 »
Thanks for all the welcomes. I've just checked on the girls and they're all fine, mostly on the perch. Just heard from breeder that they are vaccinated, wormed and around 20 weeks old which is great news.
Hope the rain stops tomorrow so I can get a picture to put on here
x

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44 »
Thanks for the advice, we are completely new to this and after loads of Reading I still feel like Im in the dark!! I sprinkled some diatom in the nest box, but will do the perch in the morning, I did spray poultry shield around the whole coop. Is diatom sufficient as a wormer in their food to?

We picked up the girls this morning, the magnificent 7!
They are Cornish Meadows (red, ranger, Amber, speckled and a silver) and two Bovan Nera's, will post pictures as soon as the rain stops enogh to take one :( How long roughly before they start laying? They are only just on layers pellets now.
It is very exciting and I think I should have asked more questions to the breeder but caught up in the moment watching him net them! Hubby and I clipped their wings before we put them in the coop and although scary at first it was easier than I thought. They seem quite happy but I'm not sure if one of them has a sligtly small top beak? Will try and get a picture later to put on here. They are lovely, I'm already hooked!!!!! =)

Hi LilRed.  Welcome to the bonkers world of chicken keeping.  You'll soon be wanting more it's adictive but resist the temptation at least till you learn more.  A couple of tips to start with.

Make sure you home your chx to their new house by keeping them confined in an attached run for a couple of days before you let them roam
Keep nutrition simple, layers pellets fed adlib from feeders which store about 3 or 4 days worth at a filling.  Each chicken will eat about 120grams a day for a normal hybrid which is what you have there. keep their food suspended at back height to prevent fouling and discourage vermin,  Don't keep it in the house but in the run in a covered area to prevent rain spoiling it.
Similarly with water but don't suspend this keep it firmly on the ground on a level surface as it will be quickly spilled with chx knocking against it if suspended.
Feed a handful of corn only each evening per bird not adlib.  Keep treats to a minimum.  You can feed household scraps (most vegables are prefered cooked and potatoes or peelings must be cooked).  Anything with seeds in are eaten including mellon, pumpkin, rice, peppers, apples (but no citrus fruits), corn on the cob, etc etc. Many chx don't like carrots but letuce, cauli or cabbages cut into quarters and hung up are good, you can experiment.  Fresh grass but definitely not cut grass which can cause sour crop. Pasta is taken eagerly but not too much refined food at one go and not regularly.  Their food should be low energy density so they eat a significant bulk to get their daily needs.
Give them as much space as possible and preferably fold your net to form a figure of 8 with two squaes of 7.1 meter sides so you have an alternate run system with one resting on a 3 month rotation to maintain grass cover.  This allows 50sq m sufficient for 10 -12 birds max.

Use Diatom to keep Red Mite at bay the bane of all chicken keepers lives.  I prefer to apply it as a slurry.  Add the powder to a diluted disinfectant base, not the other way around. (I use Vanodine V18 an Iodine based disinfectant which is safe to drink when diluted).  Mix to a thin batter consistency and paint on the perches and into all corners of the house and nestboxes.  This reduces the dust in the house which is a must as dust can irritate a chx respiratory system.  I don't dust it at all, particularly in the nestbox as suspended dust is a dangerous vector of viruses.  One particule can carry thousands.  When dry it works very well at detering RM and also on the perches stops the droppings from sticking.  Try not to wash it off too much when cleaning.  Reapply as needed.

Poultry Shield is good but any detergent will do the job and kill bacteria when cleaning.  Use a disinfectant like Vanodine which also works on dirty surfaces, after cleaning.

Keep reading and learning and enjoy your new hobby.

HF
Truth through science.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32 »
Just to add, Hillfooter i really like your tip of applying diatom as a slurry, could i just ask why you apply it to a disinfectant base and not the likes of water, can you do it with water.    Also my house is creosoted inside and out,  do you think i need to add the likes of diatom as a slurry, at present i just use poultry sheild.   Sorry for highjacking the post.   nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00 »
Creosote as you probably know is now verbotten and it's certainly not good to be in contact with chx.  However if it's old and not weeping it probably won't do them any harm however it is then less likely to zap the RM.  Think I'd still use the Diatom it will at least lighten it up and help you spot the RM.

I use it in a base of Vanodine V18 as it kills two birds with one stone so to speak.  Vanodine I believe is still effective as a disinfectant when dry and it sanitises the perches.  However it's not essential for the RM and water will be fine.  Best to put a few drops of detergent (fairy liquid or possibly poultry shield) in the paint as it helps wet the mixture and gets into the cracks, particularly if you have creosote.

I've used creosote by the way in the roof joints and seams where I've had problems with RM colonies but of course now you aren't allowed to use it.

Best wishes
HF

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39 »
Thanks for the advice hillfooter, I will be pasting the perch in a bit. I painted the inside of the coop with teak oil, the farm store suggested it as they said the RM don't like oil based products? Hopefully here are some pictures of my new girlies!
New Camera Summer 168.jpg

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39 »
Here's another couple

LilRed

• Chace
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 16:29 »
Oops! Forgot to add attachments last time.
New Camera Summer 170.jpg
New Camera Summer 176.jpg

xx
New Eglu Cube Owner

Started by jn on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 10:27
by joyfull
xx
I am blaming it all on daisy1990 !!! (now proud owner of 4 baby Itailian quail)

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 20:02
by ANHBUC
xx
Will I be able to eat chicken again??

Started by Mrs.Apron on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:39
by the Kergan
xx
For the chicken who has everything......

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 16:30
by nerdle

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 31 queries.