Broad Beans

• 7 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Broad Beans
« on: June 30, 2010, 17:39 »
Hi, I've got around 12 broad bean plants and I thought they were doing really well as they have plenty of flowers on.  I've noticed that rather than the flowers falling off to leave a bean they are falling off at the stem and nothing is growing,  is this normal?

Thanks

andy135

Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 18:39 »
I've got the same problem with mine. I pulled some pods yesterday but there's not many more on the plants. I think it's a lack of pollination.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 19:53 »
Is lack of pollination  had tons beans from bottom to about halfway but    no thing set in the top half. we had loads of bees earlier but cold snap seemed to be the problem no bees no pollination

chopkins1313

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 22:54 »
This site is amazing - I have exactly the same problem and was just this evening looking at my broad beans and thinking how strange it was the flowers had disappeared from the top half of the plant leaving no beans behind - it's almost like a timeline of when the bee's disappeared! Furthermore, they now appear to have stopped growing - will any more flowers appear on the existing stems or is that it for this year? :(

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:07 »
I agree, this site is great! Thanks for the info.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22 »
This has happened to me too but as it is the first time I have grown broad beans I didn't know what to expect. I DO have some pods but not many and just enough to provide us with a small accompaniment to one meal I reckon! I grew mine in newspaper pots and planted mine out just after the cold snap BUT at the same time I also planted some beans straight into the ground just in case the plants didn't survive. the ones with the beans on were the original ones - the others are now growing into small plants and are full of flowers so I am hoping.

However, I would also like to know if more flowers will come once I have picked the pods - or is this it?

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 20:56 »
I'm not sure if more flowers will grow as this is my first time at growing them too.  I have seen a bee round them today so fingers crossed.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 22:35 »
I have just found this link, which suggests that the more you pick, the more flowers form, and therefore the more broad beans we get! (Ignore the video unless you particularly want to watch it - the relevant information is written below it!)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-harvest-broad-beans

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 31 queries.