Arrrrrgh!

• 36 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Re: Arrrrrgh!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 11:36 »
Hmm, I know it's harsh, but I'm definitely going to consider it as a last last resort after the Baytril.  Something is going to work, I'm sure!

Any clear info on the least harsh induced moult would be very helpful.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49 »
There's not a great deal of information on the internet about forced moulting but this is a good place to start.

http://www.avma.org/reference/backgrounders/induced_molting_layer_chickens_bgnd.pdf

It's an American article but American hen are just the same as ours  ;)

Be aware that if your hens lack of eggs is due to a previous virus infection a forced mould can depress their immune response.

You need to do a lot of research before doning anything like that.

hillfooter

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 13:01 »
There's not a great deal of information on the internet about forced moulting but this is a good place to start.

http://www.avma.org/reference/backgrounders/induced_molting_layer_chickens_bgnd.pdf

It's an American article but American hen are just the same as ours  ;)

Be aware that if your hens lack of eggs is due to a previous virus infection a forced mould can depress their immune response.

You need to do a lot of research before doning anything like that.

Interesting subject i've not previously had any contact with.

Here's what the Poultry site say.  The advantage being the Ozies know how to spell moult. :D

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/217/moulting-a-natural-process

HF
Truth through science.

heatherw

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 14:23 »
Yes Hillfooter, this is very interesting.

I didn't realise that The Poultry site was Australian.  That means you have to be careful with the seasons and directions when reading it, ie March is Autumn, and North is South.  Sounds elemental, but easy to get mixed up.

hillfooter

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 14:40 »
Yes Hillfooter, this is very interesting.

I didn't realise that The Poultry site was Australian.  That means you have to be careful with the seasons and directions when reading it, ie March is Autumn, and North is South.  Sounds elemental, but easy to get mixed up.

It's not Australian though the article I provided a link to was.  So back on your head! :D

The Poultry Site is run by 5M Enterprises a UK company.

HF

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 13:28 »
Well, five days of antibiotics completed yesterday, which was partly successful.  I have had two good eggs three days running!  One of the girls that hadn't laid for a couple of months has restarted which is good news.  However, the two that are laying thin shelled eggs continue to do so.  I've bought some nutridrops, so I'm giving them to the girls today and will wait a week before deciding on whether to carry out a forced moult (which I think I might just avoid anyway!).

hillfooter

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 17:20 »
Well, five days of antibiotics completed yesterday, which was partly successful.  I have had two good eggs three days running!  One of the girls that hadn't laid for a couple of months has restarted which is good news.  However, the two that are laying thin shelled eggs continue to do so.  I've bought some nutridrops, so I'm giving them to the girls today and will wait a week before deciding on whether to carry out a forced moult (which I think I might just avoid anyway!).

Give them 8 days to a couple of weeks to show some improvement.

At least they aren't worse did you use the electrolyte drink?

HF

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 29 queries.