All tops and no bottoms

• 9 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
All tops and no bottoms
« on: June 29, 2010, 17:27 »
I planted some first earlies on 29th March and have a couple of flowers on them, they are in bags by the way.  Being too impatient I thought I would have a little rummage to see what was going on and can't find anything.  I do, however, have a huge amount of leaf, shame you can't cook it and eat it!  I grew the same potatoes, Homeguard, last year in bags and there were potatoes virtually all the way up to the top but can't find anything this year.  Am I watering in vain or am I being a bit too impatient and should leave them for a bit.

Also, I planted beetroot out I think at the end of April, some direct into the ground and some I did in pots and transferred into a raised bed when they were  big enough, this was May time but forgot to keep a note of when!  Again, I have lots of lovely leaf but there doesn't seem to be anything growing underneath, surely I should have even a little bit of a ball by now shouldn't I?

zazen999

Re: All tops and no bottoms
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 17:33 »
Have you been feeding things with a high nitrogen feed?

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 18:20 »
I've been giving them phostrogen once a week

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 18:44 »
Just remembered, I did add some Growmore to the first lot of compost in the bag which was advised by Thomson & Morgan on their website.  That is the only thing that was different from last year.  Would it be worth opening up one bag to see if there is anything.  I am loathe to spend money and time watering just to get nice green leaves!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:20 »
One thing that new gardeners, and some seasoned gardeners do, is to water far too much. Potatoes and beets need water only when they're starting out and can actually do without water for a month or more. If you're watering several times a week or even deep watering every week, then you'll get only tops and no bottoms. These plants need some dryness to force the tubers and roots to swell and not produce lush tops.

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:12 »
I think this must be where I have gone wrong.  Is anything likely to happen to them now or is it too late?

savbo

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 17:16 »
ahhhhhh! we have been watering daily through the dry spell! that could explain why we have a couple of big spuds and lots of pea-sized on the one plant i dug up...

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14 »
sandygreen, it's hard to say whether or not you'll get spuds this year. Provided you don't get regular rain in the near future, there's a chance you'll get some crop but not as much as you hoped.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:38 »
We've got beetroot in the polly tunnels at work and they get the irrigation every day and they are fine, been picking for about 3 weeks beautiful!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:37 »
Thanks for this, I think I will lay off the watering for a while, not much chance of rain in East Anglia!  Not sure about the beetroot, will just cross fingers I think!

xx
celery and lettuce bottoms

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 16:02
by Trillium
xx
Pea Tops

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 22:32
by SalJ1980
xx
Brussel tops

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 14:31
by DD.
xx
Turnip tops

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2019, 12:47
by New shoot

Page created in 1.593 seconds with 31 queries.