help rabbits eating my produce.

• 11 Replies

cabte

help rabbits eating my produce.
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:23 »
Well my new allotment is coming on leaps and abounds.
I have a variaty of fruit and veg, from raspberries   , strawberries, rhubarb
potatoes, tomatoes, lettice ,carrots sweetcorn onion,celery
all is getting on well,
But a lot of people on the allotment are having problems with rabbits.
they seem to of started round the edges of the allotment finished off there  veg and now started to move inwards.
yesterday  when i went to the allotment they had eaten nearly all the leaves of my broccoli .
But why the broccoli and not the other veg i have tomatoes and lush green lettice and they not touch any.
I spoke to someone the other day and he told me of a powder you can sprinkle on the veg that wont harm the veg but stop the rabbits from eating my produce.
or is there anything i can use to stop the wickle wabbits.

Sid

• Experienced Member
Re: help rabbits eating my produce.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:29 »
Could you fence in with chicken wire?
We had the same problem and bit by bit fenced it all,the only area not fenced are the spuds.
you must dig the wire down about 5inches into ground ,it did the trick for us, good luck!
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:29 »
Fencing is the answer we have used the 2 inch gauge in our garden and it does the trick, apparently some will say it doesn't keep the little ones out but we have found it has.  Should it not, the narrow width 1/2 inch wire as well just round the bottom would be cheaper than full 3 foot height.  Don,t forget you need to guard against the pigeons as well.

kari

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:10 »
I've had lots of trouble with bunnies, i'd go up every morning & could see where they had been digging & what was missing.  I'm trying something called 'Grazers' its a liquid which you dilute in water & spray on to deter rabbits, deer & pigeons, its safe & not a poison, but they apparently hate the smell.

I'm on day 3, so need to spray again, but so far it seems to have worked
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

cabte

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:22 »
Thanks for the quick reply.
i was thinking of this with the wire but the only problem i have is the cost as my allotment is 10m x 10m 100sqm
so the cost would be high.
i just spoke to another allotment guy and he said some people are going to chester zoo and buying lion,wolf tiger pooh by the bag and this seems to be doing the trick :wacko: :wacko:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:30 »
I was thinking of this with the wire but the only problem i have is the cost as my allotment is 10m x 10m 100sqm
so the cost would be high.

Surely you only need 40m of chicken netting to surround it (rather than covering it?)

(About £46 delivered for a 4' X 50m roll of 2" mesh according to one website I've just looked at.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:45 »
don't forget the post Jay ! it all adds up to quite a tidy sum, for some people :(

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57 »
Rabbits are pretty scared of those little windmill things and anything else that spins really. Poundstretcher has them for 50p and a pound, I'd just put a fair few in and around your plot and the cowardly rabbits will go to someone elses plot instead.  :blush:  They also don't like flapping video tape but I know many don't like using that stuff.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:33 »
don't forget the post Jay ! it all adds up to quite a tidy sum, for some people :(

Quite right Mum; I suppose I was thinking about the maths rather than anything else (male; can't multi-think!)  :nowink:

mraggett

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 13:46 »
We have a bit of a rabbit problem on our site and I do net things but a year or so ago I bought a sonic mole scarer as I stated to get a few mole hills. The moles are long gone but I have kept it going as I think it is detering the other wildlife like the deer and the rabbits as they have not touched much of my crops at all. If you shop around you can pick one up for under a tenner.

Mark

madcat

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 14:18 »
I found that a string at bunnie head height with sparkling things (spinning cds, flattened out crisp packets with silver insides tied on the string to make a bow are really good as they dont do any damage to any plants they hit, ali pie/quiche dishes etc) on it helps a lot.   Not sure fire, but definitely helps and dirt cheap.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 15:46 »
Our junior dog has offered to come and help- but he is a bit of a liability himself as he tends to stand on veg!!

wire mesh is probably the best bet- and watch out for holes!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Already eating my produce

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 17:16
by Digger Mum
xx
eating my own produce for dinner..yay! :)

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 12:05
by Broadhaven
xx
Rabbits eating everything.

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 20:49
by Nikkithefoot
sad
Rabbits are eating my Bosses veggies HELP!!!

Started by sugarbeet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 13:27
by Salmo

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 32 queries.