Shredded Cardboard as bedding?

• 21 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Shredded Cardboard as bedding?
« on: June 28, 2010, 14:47 »
Does anyone use this?  And does it matter if there is a bit of shredded paper in with it?

compostqueen

Re: Shredded Cardboard as bedding?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 14:56 »
No, I compost it  :D

i think your chooks would appreciate something that will absorb moisture (eg wee and poo and absorb smells)  Not essential but your hens will thank you   :D

Hemcore, Aubiose and the like

greenun

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 15:11 »
Chuck everything into the chookyard, weeds, paper, anything you would put in the compost. The chooks will scratch it poo on it and do the job for you.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:39 »
See this link http://www.walmsleypremierbed.co.uk/index.htm.

I have read the testimonials page and know some of the people particularly the vet at Ledston who is very respected in his field.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:54 »
Interesting - thank you all.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10 »
We shredded paper when we first got the chooks, but stopped when we saw one eating a strip - don't know if this would apply to card, I guess it depends on the thickness.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:36 »
Does anyone use this NOT ME?  And does it matter if there is a bit of shredded paper in with itNOT IF YOU DON'T USE IT?

Be sensible and stick with Hemcore, or softwood shavings (Snowflakes are best).  

Good house design with minimum unecessary floor space and inaccessible under perch dropping zones will ensure good sanatory conditions, reduce and simplify maintenance and will minimise the amount needed and reduce the cost of the litter so you don't need to use such risky materials.

HF
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:24 »
I switched to Hemcore after reading reviews on this site and am so pleased I did; it is so absorbent, masks the smell- I am very sensitive that my coop and run are close to my neighbour's summer house, and composts well.
I have 3 chickens and  a bale which will last for months.
Jane

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 06:54 »
I use hemcore as it is so absorbant,however I have found out that my sablepoots do seem to have an allergy to being so close to it. They never perch and ended up with eye infections and sneezing along with rattly chest which no antibiotics seemed to cure (tried aureomycin, denegard, tylan plus denegard and tylan combined). I have since put slatted perches (omlet eglu type) on the ground just above the hemcore so it is still there to absorb but they are not having their faces touching it and so far they are fine (says she touching her head). Have concluded that it must be the citronella scent that is the problem.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 07:29 »
An interesting range of opinions - thanks all.

I will try the hemcore but I have a huge amount of cardboard which I end up shredding or having to take to the tip.  It's too much to add to the compost heaps without it being out of balance.  I was looking to use it in another way.

Sassy - just re-read the Walmsley Premier Card/Paper link and it seems they advocate it for poutry as well.  I may buy some and se how it compares to other stuff including my own shredded card.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:34 by gsc »

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37 »
Joy,
do you damp down the Hemcore? I think it's recommended when it's used in horse stables so could  it be the dust that causes problems??? Just a thought.
Jane

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 07:38 »
Is Hemcore very dusty then?  It's one of the problems I have with bedding being asthmatic.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 08:21 »
you don't damp down for chickens it is only for horses. the problem with the 2 adult poots is that they won't perch (have been trying since November  ::)) and I know Mrs Poot sleeps leaning forward with her beak touching the ground.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:47 »
you don't damp down for chickens it is only for horses. the problem with the 2 adult poots is that they won't perch (have been trying since November  ::)) and I know Mrs Poot sleeps leaning forward with her beak touching the ground.

Well if they had a fully slatted floor they'd have no choice would they Joyfull?  Stupid Dutch birds!  I once had a Dutch girl friend who used to sleep with ....but that's another story!

HF

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 09:19 »
Fiesty this morning aren't we Hilly?  ::)

Gay, I probably wouldn't use cardboard as a litter.  It isn't absorbant, so you would find that you have to clean out every day.

(I wouldn't use card for my horse either... as a horse bedding cardboard gets very heavy and *smelly* - it also flies around the yard easily - though obviously it does rot down quickly)

I've used hemcore once, unfortunately it is twice the price of my normal litter so I won't be buying it very often, but I found it very nice.  It has a very pleasant smell, and I didn't find it dusty. 

I can see why you may want to damp it for horse bedding though - because the pieces are so small they tend to be stirred up easily.  If you have great huge hoofs stiring it up it might be a bit of a problem, but with chooks (being light on their feet) then not so much.

It was also very absorbant and made poo picking easy.  It was economical in a way, because by using a cat litter scoop you can get even all the small bits of poo while leaving the majority of the bed itact, so you lose only a little each time to clean the bed.

I think my bag (7L I think) put in the coop all at once lasted about a month before I had to take everything out and start with a fresh bed.

Now, if I can find a place that will sell in in proper bales (24kg) rather than bags for rodent bedding I would probably change as it would probably be more cost effective... but it is very new to my area.

xx
shredded paper bedding

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 22:34
by hazelize_uk
xx
shredded paper as bedding?

Started by otis pony on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 14:31
by arugula
xx
Bedding... Shredded paper..,

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 14:06
by steelman
xx
Shredded paper for bedding?

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:48
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 31 queries.