Sticky fly paper strips V cat

• 19 Replies

MoreWhisky

Sticky fly paper strips V cat
« on: June 26, 2010, 21:54 »
My cat got its self wrapped up in  one of those sticky fly paper strip. The first i noticed was when he flung himself at the living room door trying to get it off. I actually thought my 4 yr old had picked him up and flung him at the door first of all. Anyway i managed to corner the cat and pull the strip off (once round the body and twice around the tail). This stuff is really sticky! It was a case of being cruel to be kind, im surprised he didnt attack me.

Well now i have a cat with great strips of fur covered in honey/tar/1 tube of araldite mix.

Im for chucking him outside but my wife wants to bath him (which im not gona get involved in at all!)

Anyone know the cure to get this stuff of???????? of failing that how to bath a cat.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Lardman

Re: Sticky fly paper strips V cat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 23:01 »
The stuff in the rentokill strips is terrible, I've used thinners to get it off hands (& furniture) before but I don't recommend it on the cat  :D Anything booze based should work - vodka ?

I don't think washing with water would help either - The cat would be getting a hair cut if it was mine.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:00 »
not sure giving vodka to the cat would work...best to drink that yourself  :lol: :lol:
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

noshed

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 16:38 »
A small glass with an anchovy in might work - perhaps no ice.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 20:05 »
hair cut followed by Swarfega.  Only thing that is likely to touch it and you can rinse it out.  That is what we used when one of ours was covered in petrol. (nothing malicious - faulty tank and daft cat!)

When it comes to bathing a cat - Put all that you need plus tough gloves in shower, and old towel somewhere out of the wet but reachable.  Strip (underpants might be wise for the males).  Collect cat and get in shower, shut door quickly.  Cat will not approve, but will generally put up with it, provided you are gentle, don't hestitate and dont care about getting wet/covered in hair/swarfga/minor scratches.  Quick dry and release.  Cat will depart fast and complain to neighbours.  You can console yourself that the scratches will heal in a couple of months with only minor scars, the blood washes off the walls  ...   :D :D :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 21:20 »
hair cut followed by Swarfega.  Only thing that is likely to touch it and you can rinse it out.  That is what we used when one of ours was covered in petrol. (nothing malicious - faulty tank and daft cat!)

When it comes to bathing a cat - Put all that you need plus tough gloves in shower, and old towel somewhere out of the wet but reachable.  Strip (underpants might be wise for the males).  Collect cat and get in shower, shut door quickly.  Cat will not approve, but will generally put up with it, provided you are gentle, don't hestitate and dont care about getting wet/covered in hair/swarfga/minor scratches.  Quick dry and release.  Cat will depart fast and complain to neighbours.  You can console yourself that the scratches will heal in a couple of months with only minor scars, the blood washes off the walls  ...   :D :D :D

Ahh, I remember that situation fondly - although we did retain clothes as it took me a dad together to hold puss cat Chani who was covered in oil from a leaky car. We were both pouring with blood, but we got the oil out eventually. I don't think I have lasting scars.....

Did you get the goop off your pudtat Morewhisky?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 21:59 »
No not really im afraid. Its slowly coming off naturally i think. As for showering  him no we havent yet as we really dont think hes gona like it one bit.

greenun

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 08:34 »
snip it off, any chemical would be detrimental to the cat's skin and cause great pain, I speak from experience.

brown thumb

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 13:33 »
i know this a old thread but it reminded me of when one of my cats came in covered in mud not thinking straight she was in the bath before even i reallized what i was doing i showered her off all she did was purr thank goodness mind 1st and last time she came in muddylol

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 13:38 »
I have just had to cut my 19 year old cats front claws.  Only on one paw as the vet did the other last week.  You are asking why the vet only did one paw.  Well she may be in her 90's in human years but she is still a tiger in minature.  Plus she was getting so stressed with two vets armed with a towel and clippers.  She managed to jump off the examining table twice so they had to call it a day.  Rather than take her back when she had calmed down as they suggested I bought some clippers myself.  She still got stressed and I had to sit on the floor with her between my legs, all attacking limbs wrapped in a large towel.  All done now and she even let me stroke her straight after so I will be tackling this job myself from now on.  Apparently they need trimming as they get older due to thickening of the claws.  They grew into her pads last year and she needed antibiotics so regular checks are the thing now.   :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

madcat

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 18:52 »
My ladies started to need their claws cutting in winter when they got to about mid teens (well, you dont expect us to go out in this weather, do you?   :ohmy:  We are ladies!!   ::) ) and as they get older and move less and the claws thicken, it gets to be more often.  But they get to accept it, cats are pragmatists.  Next time will be easier ....

(remind me that i said that when I am complaining about getting pills down her!    :nowink: )

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 20:58 »
You've not met my gentle little Arwen Madcat...... Each time she finds a new way to back flip at claw clipping time, fangs come out and if another cat enters the room they get a punishing (as it is clearly their fault she has been clipped!). For such a fat cat she can move fast!!! I have one though that now purrs when clipped, Buffy thinks anything that involves being held must be cuddle time even if something happens to her claws or tats in her long fur while being snuggled  :wub:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 21:04 »
Some cats don't mind being bathed  :ohmy:

One of my daughter's was covered in baby oil by her two year old, and surprisingly he didn't mind his bath at all.

Slightly warm water and baby shampoo

Loved the cuddles in the towel afterwards too, then stayed in until completely dry
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Raven81

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 22:08 »
My little 2kg cat has to have her claws clipped as she refuses to leave the house, we have a perfectly good cat flap but she doesn't like outside! Unfortunately she hates being handled if its not on HER terms and the vet has to wear gloves!
My big 8kg cat came in the other day covered in oil and let me wash him! I had to bath him the other week, and tho he wasn't happy about it he loves attention so as long as you stroke him he'll let you do anything to him!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 02:30 »
We had a cat that was difficult to keep away from water. He was often found at the sink catching the dribbles from the tap. Not content with sitting on the edge or the draining-board he often sat in one sink to get a better reach into the other one that was filled.

Despite being constantly shooed away he persisted in sitting in the sink so I filled it with four inches of cold water. 
:lol: "I'll put you off!!"

Nope... he jumped in and sat there.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:18 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
urine testing strips help!!

Started by starry on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 22:15
by Lulu

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 30 queries.