ants and aphids

• 2 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
ants and aphids
« on: June 25, 2010, 15:08 »
My broad beans are absolutely full of blackfly. I ran round the plot picking up as many ladybirds as possible (after pinching the tips out) and putting them on the broad beans. They started eating the aphids, until the ants started attacking them.

Done a bit of research and after seeing that my broadies are covered in ants aswell, it seems that they 'farm' the aphids for honeydew which they excrete! So all the ladybirds have gone!

Anybody else noticed this funny relationship with the 2, i thought the ants were doing me a favour at first and eating them rather than protecting them!

Arbutus

Re: ants and aphids
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 17:31 »
Yes, I've seen this in action quite a few times, on lots of different plants. The ants get the "payment" of the honeydew (part digested plant sap) and in return keep all the aphid predators away - clever stuff really! I wonder which came first...it's a chicken and egg situation!

Livinhope

Re: ants and aphids
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 18:30 »
Little story about ladybird larvae.   Some years ago there was a plague of ladybirds, they don't do any harm but the local farmer sprayed every crop to kill them off.  Next year wheat, barley, oil seed rape absolutely infested with greenfly.  Had he kept his sprayer in the barn he could have saved an awful lot of money.  Nature does know best. :tongue2:

xx
Do ants eat aphids

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 09:28
by carlotta
xx
ants and aphids on my plum tree

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 17:08
by gardener247
xx
Aphids ants and washing up liquid.

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
ants farming aphids/jam question

Started by chipmunk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 13:35
by Aidy

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 28 queries.