My New Brahma is being bullied

• 3 Replies

Ruthy Bear

My New Brahma is being bullied
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:33 »
 :(

I have 3 ex commercial layers which I keep as pets and have had them for 15 months.  They are healthy and still laying and were perfectly contented until recently! 
We purchased a beautiful Lemon Pyle Brahma and introduced her a couple of days ago.   She is being jumped on, pecked and chased around by the other 3.  We have one hen who appears to be the ringleader and the others quickly follow suit.    The Brahma is so sweet and gentle and because of her being a bit cumbersome seems to struggle to get out of the way quickly.    She doesn’t retaliate and its horrible to see the others being so mean to her.  She keeps retreating to the hen house and is scared to come out.   Ive put food and water inside the hen house for her.      I just feel so sorry for her ; she is so gentle and sweet.    Ive been giving them corn, cabbage and mealworms trying to distract them but as soon as they catch sight of her or she tries to venture round the run they leap on her sending her scurrying back to the hen house.     
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.      Would it help to get another Brahma or would it be the same problem with the two Brahmas not getting along !  I want her to have “friends”  My husband says I am too emotional about it all!  Lol

noshed

Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

themagicaltoad1

Re: My New Brahma is being bullied
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57 »
It's never a good idea to introduce just one new bird. Can you get her a friend and let them get used to each other first before introducing to the others. You can get beak clips for the bullys and have some purple spray ready in case they draw blood.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: My New Brahma is being bullied
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 15:15 »
It would have been much better to introduce two new girlies to your exsisting 3, at least with 2 they can share the bullying  as it were.   I had this happen to me a few months ago,  i orignally got two girls a barnie and an isa brown (same as yours), omg she was the bloomin devil, she was so alwful it was just heartbreaking to watch, i know about the pecking order but this was taking the mickey.   It got so bad that the barnie never came out of her house and she was beginning to suffer, unfortunately i sent the isa brown back, and got two newbies, very quickly the barine became top hen and she was perked up.   Im in no way saying get rid of your girls but i would strongly suggest either get another new girl or if you can identify one ring leader who is doing the worst pecking/bullying then you can remove her, pop her in a cat basket or something like that 2 or 3  days and then re introduce her, that should knock her down the pecking order, its worth a try.   Good luck   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 00:24
by little miss muffat
xx
Brahma seems to be on the mend - now what?!?

Started by shetan on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 11:14
by bantam novice
xx
brahma bantams

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 22:43
by Hensington
xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by HelenandPat on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 20:51
by HelenandPat

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 37 queries.