Advice on what to plant appreciated

• 13 Replies

Elcie

Advice on what to plant appreciated
« on: June 21, 2010, 21:33 »
Hi everyone, as some of you know I will be becoming a Grandma for the first time later this year.  The baby is due on 17th September.  I would love to mark this occassion by planting something that will last forever (hopefully) and I would love to do this on the day that he is born ideally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to plant?  I can put it either into my front garden, my back garden or my allotment, or maybe even one at home and one at the allotment!  I woudn't want it to be tricky to grow or look after, and I would prefer it if it produced an edible crop.

I look forward to reading any ideas that you may have  :D

Trillium

Re: Advice on what to plant appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:41 »
Grapevines aren't really that difficult. they can be left to climb over arches and with minimal pruning to just contain any loose growth, you'll still get grapes as well as a shady arbor for sitting under. Apple trees are very long lived but they do need some care. You could always try one of the small nut bushes like filberts.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 19:25 »
Thank you Trillium.  Is it possible to grow grape vines outside in the UK or is it a greenhouse crop only?

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 21:17 »
How about a rose. When the wifes youngest sister had her first baby girl, grandad found a named variety and bought two roses, one for each set of grand parents. Baby Grace now has a rose (From David Austin roses) in her name planted in both grand parents gardens.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 21:24 »
Unfortunately there are not many roses with boys names and Elcie said 'when he's born' so I take it they already know?

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 21:27 »
Unfortunately there are not many roses with boys names and Elcie said 'when he's born' so I take it they already know?

Aaahh so not a girl then sorry :nowink: just an idea I had. As tigger would say B U double G ER

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 21:46 »
A very nice idea.....just not for this babe  :D

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 22:28 »
Grapes can be grown in the UK. They prefer their roots inside the greenhouse and the vine trained through the frame to the outside. This means you have to remove one of the panes of glass.

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 22:52 »
How about a plum or cherry tree, something a bit unusual you will enjoy the fruit from year after year without needing any special growing conditions.  You can buy one grafted onto a dwarf rootstock if space is an issue.  Cherries are beautiful in spring when they blossom and you can get a lot of varieties that are reasonably reliable in this climate.  My local extremely expensive garden centre (the one that sells the paintings, and the gourmet sweets, and the tropical fish, and the selection of casual ladies wear) has quite a few for around £35 but someone will probably do them much cheaper on the internet.

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 23:11 »
Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

Yes you are right MoS.  He is a boy!  So I'm not expecting to be able to find a variety that matches his name, I just thought it would be great to be able to say that there was something that had been planted on the day he as born.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 23:16 »
How about a goosberry bush .......... its where my mther said she found me lol :happy: :happy:

countrygardener

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 23:23 »
Asparagas, i bet no one has had one of these planted in their honour! Aquilegia is a lovely herbacious plant you can get them in a lovely blue colour and it has the added bonus of also being called 'grannies Bonnet'.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 23:25 by countrygardener »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 23:23 »
If there are cherry trees nearby I would plant one of those.  I don't think there is much that is prettier than cherry blossom.  I also don't know any children that don't like to eat the fruit.
Cheese makes everything better.

savbo

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:47 »
nice dwarfing apple. maybe even a family apple...

xx
Mystery Plant - Thought it was a tomato but don't know now. Any help appreciated

Started by lila2609 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 18:52
by Salmo
xx
Advice appreciated

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 13:14
by chris23005
xx
almonds: advice appreciated on harvesting and storage

Started by garden elf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 11:10
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Tiny garden plot - advice appreciated

Started by Mancmick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 19:55
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 38 queries.