can i prevent rust on leeks?

• 5 Replies

helgoody

can i prevent rust on leeks?
« on: June 19, 2010, 20:42 »
Hi, my leeks are looking quite healthy at the moment but the last 2 years they have been affected by rust. Is there any way i can prevent them getting rust? Also are they still ok to eat if they have been affected by rust?

Elcie

Re: can i prevent rust on leeks?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 21:23 »
Hello and welcome to the site.  I am not completely sure of the answer to your questions but I am sure someone else will be able to give you information soon.  Have you grown the leeks in the same spot?  I know that I had rust last year on my garlic and the bulbs were fine to use, however, not sure about leek!

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 23:30 »
I had the same thing last year, it affected the outer leaves but the rest of the leek was okay when it came to harvest time.  I've eaten most of them and I'm still here, so I think it's fairly harmless to humans.   :blink:

Some people recomment using fungicides, removing and burning infected leaves etc. which is tricky with leeks.   Last year I just left them alone and in the end they weren't too badly affected.  I don't think you can do much prevent rust, I've rotated my crops faithfully and I'm still seeing the first signs on this year's garlic.  There's a lot of groundsel on my site with rust, and I have abandoned plots on each side of me so if the spores are airbourne I've probably got no chance of avoiding it.  Next year I'm looking out for rust resistant varieties.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 00:18 »
The weather and soil conditions play a part in the development of rust on leeks. It can be present on other plants too (including groundsel). Plants may grow through it if you are lucky but the advice is to destroy the crop to prevent the spread of spores.

Some info below:
PDF - General information

An allotment society's advice
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

helgoody

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 20:34 »
Thanks for your replies. I think i shall just have to keep a close watch on them and bin (not compost) any leaves that are showing signs of rust. I don't think i could destroy the whole lot if they get rust, i like them too much!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 00:19 »
A plot neighbour of mine spotted rust early on in the season a couple of years ago - he lifted all of his leeks and disposed of them  :(

Mine had about the same level of rust - I kept mine and they came through pretty much ok so provided a decent winter crop.... I picked out the worst and used those first.

I'm not sure everyone would approve of this - many woud advocate removing an infected crop to prevent it spreading  :blink:

xx
Leeks with rust

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 21:35
by Jackypam
xx
what do you do about rust on leeks?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2007, 00:58
by Beanzie
xx
rust on leeks

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 19:43
by gypsy
xx
Have my leeks got Rust?

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 09:45
by Griffo

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.