Strawberry runners

• 11 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Strawberry runners
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:41 »
I have a small triangular bed of strawberries as well as a small tub in my garden which are now in their 2nd year. Last year I let the runners root in small pots and grew them on to make up the patch but I'm not sure what to do this year.

There are so many of them coming now. Do they affect the growth of this years strawberries (a lot of the fruit seem very mishapen) and should I just snip them off. Will more come at end of season which I can then pot up? I am worried if I remove them all now then I wont get any more for new plants.

Also how long do the plants last - should they be renewed every couple of years or so?

Thanks for any help.....and if you can tell me how to keep the birds out of the patch as well I would be a very happy bunny....ha ha no perhaps not bunny ;)
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Livinhope

Re: Strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:48 »
I would be interested in the above as I want to start growing strawberries next year.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:38 »
Depends, if you want more strawberry plants, pot up the healthiest looking runners and simply cut off all the others. The normal healthy life for strawberry plants is supposed to be three years and then the quality of the fruit declines, but i have some plants that are four years old this year and they are as tasty as they ever were and loads of fruit . To keep the birds off you will need to put netting round and don't forget the slugs, they love strawberries as much as the birds. Hope this helps.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:47 »
Can I just clarify something please?  When you say normal healthy life - 3 years, I presume you mean the original plant not the plants you have grown from runners.

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:53 »
I have grown strawberries for years and always put as many runners as I need for the following year into pots as soon as they appear and sink the pots in the soil between the plants in the bed.  This is because the number of runners and when they appear seems to be variable dependent on the weather.  I cut the rest of the runners off or the bed gets too full with new plants which will not be in straight lines and will be difficult to pick.  Strawberries I think crop best in Year 3 so I pull them up in Year 4, but have the new plants ready to go
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:59 »
So it's a three yearly succession, presumably in other years you ditch all the runners to maintain a good crop.  Oh' this is going to be trial and error for me.

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 13:09 »
I do it in rotation, ie at any one time I will have plants that are one year, two years and three years old.  The ones that are three years old are definately the biggest and most prolific, but as already stated in year 4 they dont just stop producing!  As runners are so easy to root and grow on I dont see much point in not replacing the plants

Livinhope

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 13:19 »
Great feedback on this subject.  I want to utilize the space in the cabbage cage above the  cabbages on 3 to 3'6" high benches that won't take the light from the cabbage and I can't wait to get started. 

babycakes

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 18:17 »
hey guys i am also interested in doing this an have made a start, but not sure i have done everything right? i have potted on the runners and held down with hairs grips-these seem healthy but when do i cut away from the mother plant? how long does it normally take to develop roots? thanks folks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 18:55 »
wait till it is clear that the little plant is growing away. Then if you gently try to lift it you will find it is rooted ...........then you can cut it free from its mum  :)

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 19:02 »
If you go onto the home page at the top, then click on the advice section at the top,scroll down to hints and tips, click, and you will find a list of John Harrisons tips, in particular propogating Strawberries from runners. Run the video.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 11:57 »
Hi everyone
Many thanks for all the helpful replies and so pleased it has helped others as well.
Sometimes I hesitate to ask a question because is seems so daft and must be obvious to experienced gardeners so it's nice to get such good feedback.

I have loads of runners and they are self rooting all around the established plants before I can get them into little pots  ::)
However, last year I did manage to get some to root into empty yoghurt pots using uncurled metal paper clips to pin them down, and used them to add to my bed. This means I now have a mixture of 1, 2 and even 3 year old plants....wish I had known about the 3 year rule then!

I'll try to be a bit more organised next year!!
I have found some old netting and covered most of the bed (hubby got list of requirements to get from garden centre this weekend) and so far have been rewarded with lots of delicious fruit. So much now I have to make some jam as don't want to lose the fruit.

By the way 'babycakes' I think the little runners only take a couple of weeks to establish and if like me you have so many you dont have enough pots you can cut off the runners and sit the bottoms of the new growths in water and low and behold they will sprout roots which you can pot up later.........but I'm sure this is not necessarily the best way to do things....experienced folk will know.

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
Strawberry runners

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 22:28
by sachkrimbo

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 30 queries.