Is this blight? (Photo)

• 9 Replies

Zippy

Is this blight? (Photo)
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:18 »
Is this blight?  It is from a container grown potato plant.
The whole plant has wilted with leaves showing brown spots as shown, but not brown and curling from the edges like I expect blight to look. Weeds in the same pot are green and erect, so not sun scorch or lack of water. It is one of two affected plants in a total of six pots in my yard.

My allotment plants are fine as are my fellow allotmenteers’.  Blight doesn’t seem to have hit the town anywhere I know of so it seems strange that I should have blight in just two pots at home in a garden surrounded by six foot walls in an area where no-one gardens very much.
Picture.jpg

goodegg

Re: Is this blight? (Photo)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:34 »
its not potato blight, but i dont know what it is, its not sun burn never seen it before

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44 »
The nearest reported blight outbreak is still about 700 miles away from you, Zippy. I don't know what your weather is like down there, but it's too cool overnight here.

What's the stem look like? Perhaps the leaf looks like that as it's simply died, along with the whole plant. There seems to be a bit of blackleg around this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54 »
Stems green. Whole plant floppy and watering does not revive it, though weeds in the pot are green and fresh.

I am relieved it isn't blight. Maybe it's just time to harvest this one, or maybe the compost has just petered out.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 13:07 »
Definitely not blight.

Could be Capsid bug (1/4 inch greenish critters) - if so look out for those small brown spots later turning into holes. Not a massive problem for yield though (so it says in my book).

Outside chance it could be Magnesium deficiency but that's usually more between the veins and more blotchy (not spotty). You could rule this out with a good liquid feed of something high in Mg.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 13:09 »
Definitely not blight.

Could be Capsid bug (1/4 inch greenish critters) - if so look out for those small brown spots later turning into holes. Not a massive problem for yield though (so it says in my book).

Outside chance it could be Magnesium deficiency but that's usually more between the veins and more blotchy (not spotty). You could rule this out with a good liquid feed of something high in Mg.

dougsta - you seem to have missed the point that the plant has flopped ansd seems to be dying. That is a problem for yield and seems more than magnesium deficiency!

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 17:41 »
It looks more like some sort of bacterial leaf spot.  Although the leaves are very yellow suggesting either a lack of light or a deficiency.  If its the whole plant, it may be that the main stem has become damaged and isnt taking up nutirients properly.  The black spots maybe a secondary problem.

Pick off affected leaves and burn them.  Give them a good liquid feed and try to avoid getting the foliage wet.  Try and have a look at the stem down to the seed to make sure it's intact.

Hope this helps.

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 19:25 »
It could be potato cyst eelworm.

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 23:35 »
I don't know about the leaf spots but i opted to turn the planter out tonight anf harvested these so it wasn't eel worm as the potatoes were all smooth and clean - enough for a meal of four I would say; good for a small planter.

I guess the plant had just reached its time for harvesting and flopped. Not a lack of water as you can see from the weeds in the planter which are dark green and growing well!
Potatoes.jpg
PotatoPlant.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19 »
They look good Zippy, what a relief!

Should point out though that the eelworm cysts mainly affect the roots rather than the tubers, although the tubers can also be affected in very bad cases (although they would also be very small and few in number which yours obviously aren't!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Photo's

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 18:18
by arugula
xx
One photo that says it all

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 11:21
by Skip
xx
Do they look at the photo's they print?

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 20:54
by Trillium

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 31 queries.