Planting Leeks and onions between/after spuds

• 6 Replies

JohnB47

Planting Leeks and onions between/after spuds
« on: June 15, 2010, 19:34 »
Hi.

What do you think of this idea, for someone who has run out of space?

Dib-in leeks (now) along the valley between each row of main crop potatoes. Then, as the potatoes are harvested (sometime in September?), plant over-wintering garlic and onions in the spaces they leave.

Any problem with that, do you think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting Leeks and onions between/after spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 20:00 »
I foresee a problem when you dig up the spuds - if yours are anything like mine, the spuds aren't in a neat straight line, so you'll end up disturbing the leek roots when you harvest the spuds.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 20:07 »
Also :  I don't know at what distance you've planted your spuds, but if you've left the standard 2' between rows, the haulms, when full grown, will form an umbrella over your valley and block out the light.

Spuds are good for supressing weed growth, the same will apply to leeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 23:12 »
You must have a spare corner somewhere that you can heel the leeks in till you're ready to plant them. Don't you have any early spuds you can lift then follow on with leeks. As others have said, if you plant leeks in the furrows you'll not get the tatties out without disturbing them. Potato foliage makes excellent ground cover, so much so that after a day of rain on Sunday the soil was still dry in patches underneath!

Back to the drawing board I think..

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 23:32 »
Probably doesn't help you this year but how about growing your brassicas and onions in the same bed, alternating rows?

Avoid the larger brassicas - swedes and turnips do best. The brassicas form a canopy to shade out weeds and keep water needs down and the onions, garlic and leeks grow upward and above the swede/turnip canopy. Companion planting.

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:13 »
Thanks all.

Hmmm - I hadn't thought about the spuds keeping the light/rain off the leeks. Also, yes I do have some earlies that I'm gradually getting through but I've planted some winter squash in the spaces they left, so that space is allocated!

I might just heel them in somewhere in the meantime but I had hoped to avoid the hassle of replanting them. One other option is to plant them in spaces left when I lift my garlic and over-wintering onions but that's not really recommended is it?

Ho hum.

Anton

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:43 »
On the question of heeling in, I suppose you mean plant them all in a group in a kind of trench affair (which is what I do with leeks in Spring when space is required)! How long can I leave them "heeled in" before planting them in the space I free up by removing my new potatoes?

Anton

xx
Spuds and Leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 10:25
by DadBear
xx
Help with planting out leeks

Started by Nikkicola on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 22:24
by Nikkicola
xx
planting out leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 12:09
by mumofstig
xx
planting leeks

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 11:18
by gowing238

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 36 queries.