Plot design query

• 4 Replies

countrygardener

Plot design query
« on: June 13, 2010, 13:34 »
I,ve just been down to the allotment for the first time this morning to have a look at it.First thoughts....its a bit of a erm unorganised and needs alot of work ie removing rubbish ,broken glass,old carpets old timber But i can't wait to get started.It has 2 sheds,1 greenhouse  8x6 and 2 polytunnels about 10x8.Am i best off making individual beds with timber edging and putting membrane down instead of old carpets between.?i am due to meet up with the fella who i am sharing with to discuss how to split it up.
Also he keeps chickens about 18 in total and her's asked if i would like to take them over....will it be alot of work?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 17:26 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Plot design query
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 17:28 »
I've seperated your query from your welcome message, so I can send it to the forum more relevant to it and hopefully get more replies.

Welcome to the forums,  by the way!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 18:08 »
He obviously wants you to keep the chickens on your half  :D  18 will need quite a lot of space

noshed

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 17:39 »
I would definately clear as much of the junk off as you can, including the carpet. Membrane is good for paths, but get some decent stuff so that it stands being walked on. Personally I wouldn't edge the beds, unless you have loads of money or a good source of cheap timber but that's up to you. I edged my rhubarb bed just for neatness and the other beds I just mound up.
A lot of people on our site just clear the whole plot and put down temporary paths made of straw from the manure heap. Then they just dig it all in again in the autumn.
You've got a lot of buildings on there - will there be room for veg?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

countrygardener

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:05 »
Hi there,i've just found out my mate is getting rid of most of his chickens to make room for more gardening space.I'm really looking forward to getting it organised and looking good.I'll get some photos on showing my progress. thanks

xx
Design for Blank Canvas Plot

Started by darby on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 09:55
by Leedsniner
xx
HELP... me design me allotment

Started by gizooty on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 21:53
by greenshoots
xx
wormery design?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 21:46
by jackiestagg
xx
Polytunnel Interior Design

Started by digga666 on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:16
by Kristen

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 30 queries.