Any suggestions for an easy chilli to grow on a windowsill?

• 8 Replies

bigben

This year I am growing a few types of Chilli, with mixed results. I am pollinating with a little brush as they are on my windowsill but am a bit disappointed with the results so far.
Golden Ceyene - about 6 decent sized chillis so far from one plant
Jalapeno - two plants - about 6 fruits in total
Big jim - two fairly large plants - no fruits - just lots of flowers that keep falling off
Habanero - tiny plant - no flowers or fruits.

Next year I am looking to grow chillis again, does anyone have some suggestions of really reliable types. They can be anything from medium to mental hot. Also could I just keep the existing plants going and get a head start next year?

crh75

Re: Any suggestions for an easy chilli to grow on a windowsill?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:45 »
It's fairly early for chillis grown from seed this year to be producing hugh crops. I reckon in a month or two you will be inundated. 

You can keep the chillis going for next year. I have read that sowing seeds in the summer for chilis the following year is the best way.

My Dad kept a chilli plant going for years and every year it was covered in chillis.  He plated it out each summer then potted it up to bring inside in the winter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58 »
I have a Pretty in Purple chilli which I kept over winter on my kitchen window ledge :)

They don't get very tall and are covered with little pink flowers and then purple to red small chillies. They are only just beginning to show set, so I think you are asking for too much too soon.
Patience is required ;) and some more warm weather wouldn't go amiss either

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 14:24 »
I have about 25 assorted chillies and peppers in the greenhouse but all are still very small yet and won't be fruiting for a while.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

iggyboy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 17:20 »
Jalapeno are always reliable,so dont panic just yet and besides,you wont have any chilli plant ready to use for months yet. I'd say you are looking at the backend of August and right through September for your results. 'Fresno', 'Hungarian Hot Wax', 'Apache' and 'Rokita' are all reliable chilli seeds. Hope I have been of some help. PS; There is one chilli plant grown from seed that will blow you away,it is called 'Bhut Jolokia', there are various strains and I believe some are used in certain restraunts in curries and other 'hot dishes' and you are asked to sign a disclaimer before they will allow you to eat them! I kid you not.
...the night was dark...they usually are!

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 17:38 »
PS; There is one chilli plant grown from seed that will blow you away,it is called 'Bhut Jolokia', there are various strains and I believe some are used in certain restraunts in curries and other 'hot dishes' and you are asked to sign a disclaimer before they will allow you to eat them! I kid you not.

You should see my bhut :D It's small as hell but looks sooooooo cute :D

The chilli version is even smaller, and doesn't look half as cute ( O_o ), although it has some gorgeous flowers on it .. all currently dropping :(

¥

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 20:48 »
You can overwrinter the habs and you'll get a better crop next year. The others you really need to start early Jan. All plants are a little on the large side for a window sill, Im surprised you have fruit already Id have said you're at least 6 weeks ahead of me.

You could try Apache or Superchilli  both have been bred for pots in a window and will give you plenty of standard supermarket style peppers - I have to say I find them rather boring though.

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 23:17 »
I have always been prone to planting seeds out of any chilli we eat and find to have a good flavour- doesn't always work, but have had some good bushes like that!

I would aim for one that you know is a good heat for you- no good growing a really hot one of you like the milder versions!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

bigben

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41 »
Thanks for the replies I am slightly relived by people saying I should not be expecting much yet. I was interested in the idea of planting chillis in the summer to fruit next year - anyone else done this?

xx
Can I grow radish on my windowsill?

Started by Vegswap on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 11:46
by madcat
xx
What is easy to grow that can go in now?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:05
by SnooziSuzi
xx
What Fruit and Veg is Easy To Grow?

Started by Blingblongx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 23:12
by Johndeb
xx
Plants easy to grow

Started by ChattyA on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2018, 08:59
by Toosje

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 30 queries.