Why waste dandelions?

• 13 Replies

denihogg

• Allotment holder for 3 years, just found site
Why waste dandelions?
« on: June 10, 2010, 17:34 »
Instead of looking at dandelions as a pain on the allotment, why not try making it into wine? We also help our neighbours out by using theirs as well, and it is so easy to make

mobilekat

Re: Why waste dandelions?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 18:07 »
Never tried Dandelion wine- how does it taste?

As tried the Dandelion and Burdock fizzy drink once and found it to be an 'acquired taste' (that I didn't want to acquire!)........
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 18:13 »
Just got our first batch of nettle wine going. Was going to try dandelion next but ours all seem to have gone over for now.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 18:57 »
Dandelion wine is super.  My Grandfather was an avid wine maker and I was brought up on the stuff from an early age.  It takes quite a while to clear but it can be drunk after about 10 to 12 months even still a bit cloudy.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 19:27 »
Who's wasting them? I regularly add the leaves to salads. Whilst the older leaves can sometimes be a bit bitter, if the young leaves are selected it adds a different perfectly acceptable flavour to the salad - and is certainly a talking point if entertaining!

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 19:41 »
Ypu can also wilt a few older leaves into curries similar to with spinach.  Adds an interesting tang.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 20:51 »
I leave the pulled plants on top of the veg beds and leave them to dry and compost back into the soil. The roots contain a lot of nutrients. Just be careful if it rains as the dratted things will root where they lay  >:(

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 21:12 »
I feed them to my chickens. There's about half a dozen weeds (that grow in my garden) that they really like, and dandelions are one of them. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 22:27 »
My chooks love them too!  And dandelions are good for them, helps makes nice yellow yolks apparently!!

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 22:29 »
Be careful leaving dandelions to wilt and return to the soil if they have flowers on them as they can continue to go to seed and cause problems that way.

For salad leaves, try blanching them by placing a plant pot on top of the plant for a few days; not so bitter then.

solway cropper

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 22:40 »
Don't you pee a lot if you pick dandelions?

that's what my nanna used to say :)

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 22:50 »
You pee a bit more if you eat them.  :)  Not a great amount more, though.  Don't avoid the more bitter leaves, they're great for the digestion.  If you're feeling a bit bloaty or have overdone it a bit, eat a couple of dandelion leaves - more effective than rennies!  It's the bitter compounds hitting the tongue that help the digestion.  Alternatively, shred the leaves and make a tea from them.

You can also grind and roast the roots to make a coffee substitute - my other half says it's ok, but it smells almost totally unlike coffee!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:57 »
we used to pick dandilions for my grandad to make wine with but he always used to say never to pick them after st georges day, too bitter or something

madcat

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 11:10 »
Don't you pee a lot if you pick dandelions?
that's what my nanna used to say :)

The old name for dandelions is 'pissabed'! Note: the active diuretic is in the 'milk' in the stems.  A few leaves in a salad is neither here nor there, but I guess if they were all the greens you were getting, as may well have been the case for some cottagers in rural communities during early spring, or for the children sent to pick dandelions for wine and getting hands covered in the milk, well, you can see how it got the name!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Uses for dandelions please

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 23:34
by agapanthus
xx
Growing Dandelions

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:51
by digalotty
xx
Dandelions AAAhhhhh

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2018, 11:24
by upert
xx
using dandelions as a garden tonic

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 14, 2017, 16:23
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 36 queries.