using dandelions as a garden tonic

• 8 Replies

Grubbypaws

using dandelions as a garden tonic
« on: May 13, 2017, 13:11 »
We have dandelions; lots of dandelions. My husband wants to compost everything but so far I have stopped him putting them on the compost heap  :mad:

If I can find a way to use them in the garden it will make him happier. Somewhere I read that if you put them in water in black bags or bins then you can make a garden feed. Is this true? Has anyone tried it?

It would be lovely to not have his disapproving glares  >:( as I head to the green council bin with his newly dug dandelions all replete with seeds and roots!!!!!!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: using dandelions as a garden tonic
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 20:29 »
If it was me, I'd stick them in with some nettles, can't do any harm.  And throw the leftover rotted dandelions et al on the compost heap, they won't regrow if they have been soaking in water for a few weeks.  Dandelion tea supposedly has health benefits for human consumption, maybe you are thinking of that?

victoria park

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:02 »
My dandelion plants go into the comfrey bucket or the nettle bucket depending on which stage they're at. They're more like comfrey inthe potassium stakes, but help make an all round fertiliser mixed with the nitrogen nettles.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:51 »
My dandelion plants go into the comfrey bucket or the nettle bucket depending on which stage they're at. They're more like comfrey inthe potassium stakes, but help make an all round fertiliser mixed with the nitrogen nettles.
So do you just put them in a bucket with water and leave? How long do you leave it and what is the final product like?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:04 »
You can make weed teas with anything you don't want to compost.  It is as simple as submerging them in water and waiting a few weeks until the water goes brown and the weeds are a sludgy mess.

They do all stink to high heaven, so you want a bucket with a lid  ;)  Drain the liquid, put a generous splosh in a watering can and top up with water.  The sludge can go on the compost heap  :)

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:05 »
Stewing in a bucket takes about 3 weeks.  One minor irritation is using the diluted comfrey tea on greenhouse tomatoes is the smell does tend to linger a bit in the greenhouse obviously, displacing the earlier ever so sweet smell of fresh green plants.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38 »
I have a happy husband; thank you all. He has just filled three buckets (with lids) with his dandelions and water. Harmony returns to our garden  :D

All I need to do now is find a use for squashed gooseberry sawfly  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 14:23 »
Mix them into a paste and keep them handy   ;)  Your husband will need some nostril blocker when he opens those buckets in a few weeks time   :lol:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 16:23 »
 :D
I will give him one of his  >:( if he complains!!!

xx
Uses for dandelions please

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 23:34
by agapanthus
xx
Why waste dandelions?

Started by denihogg on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 11:10
by madcat
xx
Dandelions AAAhhhhh

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2018, 11:24
by upert
xx
Growing Dandelions

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:51
by digalotty

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 37 queries.