New member! New birds!

• 10 Replies

NoviceNigel

New member! New birds!
« on: June 19, 2007, 20:22 »
Hi all,
I have been browsing the boards over the past couple of months, but been a little hesitant to post until I had got some birds. Well today we finally got them - 3 Warrens and 3 Sussex hens.
This is the first time we have had birds and the whole family is so excited (I have a 2 and a 4 year old). I look forward to sharing the fun as we go along and picking your brains for the those golden tips.
NoviceNigel
A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live!

mercury

New member! New birds!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 20:36 »
welcome to the site mate, hope you have many years of chook enjoyment :)  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New member! New birds!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 20:37 »
Hi NoviceNigel welcome to the forums.
I've got three warrens and I'm looking to get some Light Sussex after the Hols.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New member! New birds!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 21:35 »
Welcome Nigel,  I know you and your family will enjoy your hens.  I'm sure your have a few questions and we'll try to give you our best advice.

whistler

• Experienced Member
Another new member to this Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 21:41 »
Hello All,

I 've been reading your Forum topics for a few weeks now, knowing that you folk are out there really helped me GO FOR IT!

I am now the proud 'Mum' of three little POL Rhode Island Reds, they seem  to be settling  in really well despite the dreadfully wet weather we have had over the last couple of days.

They are in a grassed run and I'm feeding them four handfuls of layers pellets in a feeder in the mornings and lots of homegrown organic lettuce and spinach with a sideorder of oystershell grit served at garden temperature! For supper they have approx. two big handfuls of corn in the henhouse.  Is this O.K.?

Just one problem, could really do with some advice, they have a super new henhouse built by my 'long suffering'.  He put in two roosting perches at 15inches high, but the girls prefer to snuggle up together in one of the two nesting boxes on the floor of the henhouse.  is this O.K. ? Or should I take out the nestboxes until they start to lay?  :?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,
The Whistler

adw

New member! New birds!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 21:42 »
Welcome! only had ours - 2 Amber Stars a few weeks but they are firmly embedded in our family!!! Kids 93 & 50 love em and wife has just come in from a meeting and is now going through what the chooks have eaten today! while I type this.. :roll:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
New member! New birds!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 21:50 »
Welcome to the forums  :)

Lucky you I don't have my hens yet. My 3 kids are excited as well as me. We can wait  :wink:

Michelle
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New member! New birds!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 21:57 »
It's best if they don't sleepin the nest (though I would want to if I was a chook).  They'll makre it pooey and then you'll get pooey eggs.

You could try lifting them up onto their perch after they have gone to bed until they get the idea.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New member! New birds!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 22:06 »
Hello whistler welcome to the forums.  :D

whistler

• Experienced Member
New Member, New Birds!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 20:06 »
Hi Aunt Sally, Thanks for your advice, we've only had them since Sunday p.m. although they'll feed out of my hand, there's now way I would be allowed to pick one up, apparently I' m much to scary! :(

I tried the 'broccolli on the string' today, they were terrified of it! It may have been because it has been so windy.  I'll  put it back in their run in the morning.
Thanks again.  P.S. Am I feeding them O.K.?

NoviceNigel

New member! New birds!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:43 »
Thank you for the wonderful welcome.
Have a quick update and a couple of questions!
Six happy chickens, one happy family and our first egg - which is waiting to be a dip-dip egg (as my daughter calls them) for her lunch when she gets home from pre-school today - fantastic!

1) Our birds aren't perch trained yet, so I just lifted them up onto the perch at night time - is there anything else I can do?
2) The 3 Warrens are 22 weeks old and seem to keep bullying the Sussex hybrids who are only 17 weeks old by forcing them into the nest boxes - at what point should I intervene and how much let them get on with it?

Welcome to the other new members, great to be sharing the start of the adventure with you!
 :)

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
smiley

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 14:12
by feathered friends
xx

Started by bloodhound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 18:44
by Vember
xx

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:21
by WR1

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 28 queries.