Wildflowers

• 6 Replies

spottymint

Wildflowers
« on: June 09, 2010, 14:00 »
Hi

Where i live there is some natural paths & wasteland.

I think it would be nice to sprinkle, native wildflower seeds from Defra registered suppliers for wildlife.

O/H reckons that,

A) Not allowed
B) Would interfere with the natural balance.

However these would be uk natives, true to type, if foxgloves present, I would not sprinkle any, but if no foxgloves present, maybe I would.

What do you guy's think ?

Thanks, Spottymint.

I have excess seeds of the native verbascums.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 15:48 »
There was something on TV ages ago about sowing native wildflowers onto wasteland - a. because it was introducing varieties back that had slowly been declining over the years
b. because it encouraged native wildlife and increased their numbers, especially bees
c. because it looks great!
I'm all for it myself, but have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to the legality of doing so. Would there be a 'wildlife/nature' bod at the council who could tell you? Good luck Spotty. Jude.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 16:16 »
I didn't think it was allowed, but TBH can't find anything that confirms this.

I seem to remember something about needing defra permission and advice about what to sow..as it has to be area specific, so you don't introduce unsuitable plants ...sorry I really cant find the info about it :(

spottymint

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 16:19 »
Hi

Looks like there could be legal issues.

On private land, you would need the land owners permission & it seems the reason for not allowing it, is people dumping any old plant or seeds.

I can understand the concern & will not go down that route.

Thanks.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 20:03 »
It was a lovely thought Spotty, shame we live in a society that seems overun with mad rules and regulations, we're only talking about a few seeds, and they came from someone somewhere originally didn't they? (plus a bit of help from Mother Nature!) Ooh, just had a thought, do the 'guerilla gardeners' get into trouble for planting up the traffic islands and the like? Jude.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 21:01 »
We look after so called bits of wasteland and people have been caught planting things and although its a great idea it can mess around with what people are trying to achieve on these area's talk to the right people and they might have the information on what they are hoping to get back in the grassland area's.  I  have been managing grassland in the park for lots of years and we have only just got it back to a state in the last five years where we are getting orchids back.

Ask the councils conservation team it wont hurt to ask, i know we would like to advise rather that it just go ahead.
Thanks
Kris

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 23:30 »
Hi

I know what you mean rangerkris, but I wasn't talking parkland. More alleyway.
I asked, because as you say, it's easier to create havoc, than undo the damage.

I know a place, site of scientific interest, covered with escapies, Daff's & spanish Bluebells ! :(

The orchid is really pretty, pity I have never seen one for real.

xx
wildflowers?

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 22:55
by pairofacres
xx
Wildflowers

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2020, 19:09
by New shoot
xx
Turning wildflowers into grass

Started by sheridal on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 20:13
by unaspenser

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 29 queries.