Broody Hen - Advice needed please!

• 10 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen - Advice needed please!
« on: June 04, 2010, 21:07 »
Hi all,

I have a broody hen that has been sat on some fertilised eggs for the last couple of days and this is all very new territory for me.

When we realised she was broody we set aside an old run we used for a guinea pig. It's about 6' x 2' and a good 6" higher than a standing hen. An old vegetable box has been filled with straw, raised slightly off the ground to prevent damp and we've covered about 3/4 of the sides to give her some privacy. This run is inside our main chicken run which is grassed. She has easy access to pellets and water which are about 6-8" away from her and she has now been on the eggs for the last 48 hours.

However I know that they need to drink plenty of water and we haven't seen her move off the eggs at all for either food or water. I have checked on her and offered her both; she's nibbled at the pellets but not taken any water.

Should I leave her to her own devices or encourage her to get off the eggs for a short while to feed?

I also normally change the bedding in the main henhouse every few days - but what about the broody? I'm leaning towards just leaving them be until after hatching day, but I would appreciate any views from those of you who have done this before.

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody Hen - Advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 22:04 »
twice a day take her off the eggs and place her outside in the run (shut her off from the eggs) as she needs to stretch, eat, drink and pooh (and broody pooh is so big and smelly  :lol:). After 10 mins open up the nest box area and let her come back in.
When lifting her off the eggs be very careful as the eggs could be well tucked up and she will have a grip on them which could result in the egg dropping and breaking (had this happen twice to me  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:27 »
Thanks Joyful - I'll give her a go shortly. Do I take it that she won't need as much food and water because she's not moving around much? She has plenty there, but I was just a bit worried about the lack of movement from her. Mind you, she still has a strong growl/shriek if I get too close!  :)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:32 »
she will need lifting off the eggs twice a day to eat and I usually give my broodies layers and mixed corn until the last week when I get my chick crumbs in. They don't eat as much but I always make sure they eat something (they have been known to starve as they take this broody thing very serious). Also broodies are prone to mites and lice so when she is sitting it might be a good idea to treat her.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:49 »
I always made sure my broodies had been off each day, for corn and water. I also gave them access to a dust bath every now and then, which they loved. The eggs will be fine for 20mins without her, it is also a good time to carefully candle the eggs if you are at day 7 or so to see if they are really fertile.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:53 »
I lift my broodies off twice a day for a poo and drink (although they have some water in their house) but for no more than 10 mins.
All lives are precious.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54 »
I've heard about candling, but don't know anything about how to do it - I was reluctant to touch the eggs in case it put her off as it's supposed to do with wild birds - will she be ok with that as I was considering changing the straw if it was a bit mucky.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:06 »
You could use a flashlight or torch, probably flashlight is better. I use gloves to handle hatching eggs because the human oils on one's fingers can clogg up the pores of the egg.
Carefully (don't ever shake the eggs) bring the egg to the torch/flashlight (in a dark room, the darker the better) and you should be able to see something inside the egg. Also candle an egg which has not been sat on by a broody, so you can compare them.
I candled my 2 eggs on day 5 with a standard torch and I could see a dark blob and lots of veins coming out from it, so they are both fertile. If you don't see anything, chances are that they aren't fertile or died at a very early stage.
If you keep taking the eggs away, she may reject them because they will have different smells on them and she'll think you will look after them. If the eggs are away for a short amount of time and not too often, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Good luck  :)

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26 »
I never bother with candling the eggs under a broody but have found that they will kick them out if there is something wrong.
I never use straw either just hemcore and only change it after they have hatched and come out to feed  :)

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:27 »
Pretty chick,

Thanks so much for your advice. I've just come back in after taking her off the eggs for the first time. She stretched out, saw the other 4 girls on the outside of the run, fluffed herself right out, wings outstretched and then ran at them shrieking like a bunny boiler :lol: The other girls just looked at her as though she was a nutcase. Anyway, Olive had a good peck around had some pellets and grass and a good stretch of her legs. After about 5 minutes her gaze became fixed on her eggs and went back onto them. She was so careful the way she stepped into the middle of them, gradually settled down and then oh so gently, began easing all eggs under her feathers with her beak until they were all covered. I'll take her off again later today for another stretch.

Well this is day 3 - almost worth starting off a short blog to report on the daily progress except that I guess all days will be the same until day 19 when I start pacing up and down outside the run like an expectant father.

I'll try the candling in a couple of days to see how things are going

Pretty Chick

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:46 »
I'll try the candling in a couple of days to see how things are going

Let us know how you get on  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:00 by Pretty Chick »

xx
Advice needed for Broody Bantam please!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 11:50
by joyfull
xx
Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 14:41
by Chuckiemum
xx
Advice needed on broody hens claws

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 15:57
by Casey76
xx
About to hatch from broody hen - misc. advice needed

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 22:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 31 queries.