white egg yolks

• 16 Replies

sonny

white egg yolks
« on: June 03, 2010, 17:46 »
Ive had chickens for 4 years now without having any real problems, however, we recently purchased 10 new point of lay which appeared to settle in nicely. They started giving us eggs immediately, each one producing one egg aday for the past 6 weeks. However, about 2 weeks ago we had a couple of very pale yolks, this has now escalated to I think all 10 hens producing eggs with white yolks !! the consistency of the yolk is just slightly different texture. If the egg is raw there appears to be a small amount of clear liquid surrounding the white.
Ive spoken to a chichen rearer who had not heard of this problem but thought it may be due to shock ?? It cant be the feed as the other 6 origional hens are still producing lovely yellow yolks.
Please can any one shed any light on this problem?

Casey76

Re: white egg yolks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 18:18 »
Ooh, never come across that one before  :blink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 21:12 »
Can you post a picture for us please ?

sonny

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 18:56 »
I will post a picture when I work out the technology bit !!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42 »
Can you tell us a little about your chx such as what breed are they are they exbatts, hybrids or pure breeds, their nutrition including water and any supplements, and if there are any other symptoms.  Do they have access to anything in the enviroment which might be causing this such as toxins or poisonous plants.  What is their ranging area, do they have access to compost heaps etc.

I too have never heard of white yolks.  There are nutritional deficiencies which effect yolk colour and this sounds most likely to me given the timing.  Also i've heard that worms can cause pale yolks so worming might be a good idea.  A multivitamin in the water might help in the meantime too.
HF
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:49 »
Hi Sonny, on page 3 leggygirls has had the same problem and Caralou posted a picture showing one normal colour yolk and one white one - is it the same as yours? 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:10 »
I saw the photos, how very odd, but clearly if all or several of your hens have suddenly started doing this it must have a specific cause and as it just seems to affect your new birds it's probably something they picked up from their previous environment with a long incubation period.  I suppose worms is still a possibility though.
HF

goodegg

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 15:18 »
wellblow me down with a chicken feather ive never seen that before are they still good to eat that is a mystery i hope someone can sort it cant wait to see the anwer

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:57 »
Check this out which suggests diet is the key to yolk colour.  http://www.yellow-egg.com/wEnglish/das_gelbe_im_ei/Der_Eidotter.shtml?navid=18

HF

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12 »
I have been around domestic chickens for most of my life and have always understood that the yolk colour depends on diet.  The 'lovely bright yellow yolk' is apparently due to the amount of maize in the diet so in a way the colour is manipulated.  I would much prefer the natural pale yolks.

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 12:45 »
I have been around domestic chickens for most of my life and have always understood that the yolk colour depends on diet.  The 'lovely bright yellow yolk' is apparently due to the amount of maize in the diet so in a way the colour is manipulated.  I would much prefer the natural pale yolks.

Well that all depends on what you mean by "natural".  I believe it's primrose oil which is often used as an egg yolk colourer.  Maize and primrose oil both seem pretty natural to me.  Chickens themselves are a much manipulated animal so some could claim they're unnatural.  People often say such things as "chickens in the wild would be this or that" when there's no such animal as a wild chicken the bird from which they were domesticated is like all other birds doesn't lay unless fertile.  So if we wanted to eat natural eggs we'd have to make do with a much reduced lay quantity and lots of crowing cocks! :wub:
HF

Livinhope

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 14:49 »
Sorry got it wrong again!!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 15:49 »
Sorry got it wrong again!!!!

Well I believe maize is an egg yolk colourant as are Marigold petals too.  Many plants containing bright yellow or red pigments will colour yolks.  Apparently green acorns will make them green! :tongue2: Probably not so appetising though.
HF
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 15:56 by hillfooter »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 15:53 »
A diet high in greens and grass will give deep yellow yolks too.

xx
White yolks

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 19:49
by azubah
question
WHITE EGG YOLKS!!!?

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:46
by joyfull
xx
white yolks.

Started by Freeranger on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 22:06
by grinling
xx
Egg yolks

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 14:28
by Brambles

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 30 queries.