Mature Cherry Tree Problem

• 11 Replies

EDITIAN

Mature Cherry Tree Problem
« on: June 01, 2010, 19:21 »
We have a mature cherry tree, with about a 12" diameter trunk, which has dead branches and the leaves have almost all fallen off. The tree flowered in Spring but on some branches the buds never blossomed and turned brown. These are the branches that died.

Some leaves remain and some cherries are forming but the tree is nowhere near as prolific as last year. The grass around the tree is also turning brown. I have carefully removed the dead branches.

At first sight it seems like canker but there is no oozing gum. Could it be lacking water or nutrients? I'm wondering whether I should prune the tree severely to try and encourage it back to life!

I'd appreciate any clues as to what to do. The problem is that the cherries from this tree are delicious and formerly plentiful.                                                           
EDITIAN

DavidT

Re: Mature Cherry Tree Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 21:11 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. Any chance of some pics? To be honest though, if the grass is dieing around it, then it could be weedkiller. Images are needed though.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 21:54 »
where are you ??
Grass browning unless ground severely dried out seems indication of external influence such as weedkiller or aitborne pollution or excessive fertiliser application??
Pictures would help??
Has anyone else in your location similiar problems or other similiar trees such as almonds or aprocots etc affected ???
R

Ampthilldon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 22:09 »
I have a 30 year old cherry tree in my garden which died earlier this year. Never came into blossom and seems to have just dried out. I have the tree surgeon coming around tomorrow to remove it...very sad. On first inspection he found some fungal growth on the trunk which he says has killed the tree. Have a good look around the trunk and anything like fungus could be the problem. If you catch ot early enough you can treat it. Unfortunatelyfor me the fungus wasn'teasily visible and I have lost mine.  :(

Spana

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 22:27 »
Our cherry is also looking very sick, not many leaves left on it at all.  Was saying to OH that I think it will have to come down, just thought it had got to the end of its life.  I'll have a good look at it tomorrow but seems funny there are so many sick cherries about just on this forum :(

EDITIAN

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 00:00 »
Many thanks for your replies.

When I find out how to attach pictures, I'll post some!

I don't think it's weedkiller - we never use the stuff. The grass around the tree is not very brown, just noticeably browner than elsewhere. I'm wondering if a dry summer, long cold winter and dry spring here in Suffolk UK had something to do with it.

I'll look for fungus though, thanks for that.

Good luck all you cherry pickers!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 00:01 »
When I find out how to attach pictures, I'll post some!

Here you go  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:48 »
If it's a chemical spray affecting your tree, it can easily be carried by wind from either neighbours or a local farmer. Think Chernobyl and you'll understand the power of wind and breezes.

Here's a lot of possibilities to consider:

http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/04-21-02.htm

EDITIAN

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 20:37 »
Thanks Yorkie,

Pics show the tree with its few small yellow-green leaves. The bird cherry next to it is healthy.

I also attach a picture of a cut branch. It's half alive and half dead. Never seen that before.
cut branch.jpg
Tree 1.jpg
Tree 2.jpg

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 20:43 »
I had a cherry tree half die last year. One half of the tree was quite healthy looking and the other simply died. I cut it down and the trunk looked very similar to the pic posted. No weedkillers, nothing different was done, and no obvious evidence of external disease or fungus. It was in a fruit bed with rhubarb, redcurrants and black currants all of which continue to do well. I am intrigued no as to why its happened to others as well.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 22:32 »
That is most bizarre  :unsure:

I really don't know.  Do you have a local radio station with a gardening phone-in?  You can often email piccies to them and get advice from them.

EDITIAN

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 21:33 »
Might try that.

Might just give the tree a haircut and see if it recovers next year.

Thanks all.

xx
New cherry tree problem

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 00:31
by Trillium
xx
Cherry tree problem

Started by Little weed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:31
by sunshineband
clip
cherry tree problem

Started by chumpy7 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 19:27
by Gardener and Rabbit
clip
Cherry Tree Problem

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 15:19
by jaydig

Page created in 0.766 seconds with 29 queries.