radish problem

• 6 Replies

green gnome

radish problem
« on: May 29, 2010, 14:38 »
Afternoon all,
Having problems with radish's, I'd sown some cherrybelle seed probably about end of march in an approx 10-12inch pot, the seeds germinated with no problems and seem to be developing very well. once the greenery had got to 6-7inch (last week) I thought I'd try and pull a few as most of the books said they should have been ready by now.
I pulled the first one up and there was nothing on the end! So I carried on pulling the rest of the plants and it was the same situation! All I got was a thin red stem about 1.5 inch and then very very small white roots underneath!
What have I done wrong? Have I not left them long enough or is it maybe dud seeds?Too many seeds in the pot (prob had about 10 plants in the pot).
Considering radish is supposed to be one of the easiest produce to grow I'm really at a loss on this one!

Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: radish problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 15:56 »
This is not a problem I've seen very often on this forum but it has happened to me; the radishes appear to grow leggy and out of the ground rather than in it (not literally, but I hope you know what I mean!)

I now sow mine rather deeper than recommended (covered with at least half an inch of soil) and that seems to help. Apart from that all I can suggest is growing a different variety; French breakfast seem pretty reliable.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 16:01 »
Probably lack of water, or lack of nutrients, or both.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 16:16 »
Sounds like you are growing them in compost or manure...?

Mine are growing lovely in just plain ole soil, with the greenery only about three inches high.

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 16:26 »
May I ask where you grew them?

Radish don't like it too warm and if they were in a greenhouse or indoors, that may explain it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 18:32 »
A batch of mine did this (cat litter tray, outside) - I suspect they dried out too much in the hot spell (despite regular watering).  They now look really sorry for themselves after the cold weather up here over the last week.  Man, if I cant grow radish i might as well give up  ::)

green gnome

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:31 »
Thanks for the replies everyone,
They were grown in multi purpose compost, sown straight into the pot which was placed just outside the backdoor and is in a fairly shaded/sheltered spot. I watered them once a day until the weather started to warm up and then watered twice a day.
I have another variety in another pot so I think I'll see how they get on but will probably try the ones you suggested Jay.
Thanks again everyone.

xx
Radish problem

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2022, 18:53
by murphy99
xx
Radish Problem

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 17:09
by mumofstig
xx
Radish

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 00:06
by sclarke624
xx
Radish

Started by Porffor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 19:13
by Porffor

Page created in 0.844 seconds with 29 queries.