What do you do when the hens done laying?

• 7 Replies

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
What do you do when the hens done laying?
« on: May 27, 2010, 22:29 »
I have started looking into seriously getting a few hens but I have a questions I am struggling to find a straight answer to.

Do Hens stop laying eggs when they reach a certain age? If so what do poeple do with them?

I will only have room for 3-4 hens so having old hens not laying is a puzzling one...  :blink:

Also, can anyone name a good book to give me some all rounder guidance on the whole subjet of keeping hens.

Thanks for your help
Please be patient! Learner gardener - allow plenty of room when passing!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What do you do when the hens done laying?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 22:40 »
if you look at this page it will show you some books regarding poultry. Katie Thear books are good and a lot of people on here also recommend the Haynes manual on Chickens.

As for when do hens stop laying eggs it really depends on the breed. Hybrids bred for egg laying will lay lots in the first couple of years then tail off but pure breed will lay fewer per year but will keep on laying for more years. Overall they wil all lay about the same amount of eggs.
My older girls have a happy retirement here as they really have deserved it and are pets  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 22:47 »
I only got my hens this year so mine are all laying or coming in to lay. But the biggest surprise of keeping chickens is how much fun they are and how much character they have. I can't imagine being too bothered when they get too old to lay (it might just be a good excuse to get a couple more). I bet you'll just get so fond of them it'll be beside the point!!!
PS This site is really excellent for us beginners.

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 23:04 »
Been having a good read through the posts. It is excellent for varied opinions and suggestios on things.

I know 3-4 is my maximum capacity. I have a terraced house and the space I have planned for hens can not get bigger.
I imagine I will get too close to them and see them as pets. Some people though must be able to beat this and I guess get rid of them when they cease to lay?
Or is this seen as a cruel act that people just don't do??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 23:13 »
I have room so guess that I am lucky. Some people manage to rehome their older girls as eating them is not an option at that age plus the fact that egg layers do not have much meat and they are too tough and stringy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 23:18 »
If its the eggs you want more than pets, once your hens stop laying, you can always put them on the Preloved website, or up here in Lincolnshire we have Lincspetsforlife where people re-home unwanted pets.  You could do something like that, as many people would have the hens just for the fun of it.  Like Joyfull!!!!   :D :D

I've re-homed quite a few of my older girls

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 23:25 »
if you can only room 3 then dont name them and cull after 2-4 years depending on breed and egg drop off. Dont feel guilty about this as they will have had a far better life than any shop  egg laying hens.
if you do name them then they are with you till their end, but be aware whatever way you go all chicken owners should be prepared to cull in times of need if only to prevent suffering

Pretty Chick

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08 »
All my hens are still laying at the moment (some 3 years old!) but when they do stop, I will keep them until they naturally pass away.
All lives are precious.

xx
hens not laying

Started by corkee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 08:13
by corkee
xx
New hens not laying yet!!

Started by stoko on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:13
by treacleminer
xx
hens not laying

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 08:35
by Sassy
xx
Hens not laying

Started by hennman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:25
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 31 queries.