courgettes and pumpkins: 1 or 2 per hole?

• 13 Replies

rivkele

• vo quartet
courgettes and pumpkins: 1 or 2 per hole?
« on: May 26, 2010, 14:57 »
Hello all,
 i planted my courgettes and pumpkins according to the instrucions on the seed packets, which were to plant directly into the plot, 6 to 8 seeds in one hole and then take out all but the 2 strongest seedlings.
Reading on this site, it seems like most people plant in paper pots, just one seed per pot and then plant out.
Is there any advantage to doing what the seed packets say and leaving 2 plants per hole? or should i just leave one?

rebecca
rebecca:-)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: courgettes and pumpkins: 1 or 2 per hole?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 15:13 »
Never heard of leaving two per station to grow on. Nor have I ever heard of putting in that many just to eventually leave two! :ohmy:

I  pop 2 seeds in per pot & nip out the weakest.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 15:15 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 15:17 »
Hi Rivkele,
   Courgettes are such prolific growers they would be very crouded if two were left growing in each station.
   I plant mine 1 meter apart and they still end up touching each other, can't wait for them though as my freezer has ran out of ratatoui :)
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 15:40 »
   Courgettes are such prolific growers they would be very crouded if two were left growing in each station.

Yeah, it seemed strange to me too. Looking at the seed packets again i realise that it's the spanish brands which advise planting six and leaving two. the courgette packet from Lidl just says to space 1 metre apart, as you said, mr Isaacs.
so perhaps it's something to do with the drier conditions here meaning smaller plants and/or less life expectancy. I think i'm going to leave just one plant in each station though, as you both advise, and try to remember to water them enough :D
thanks for the help

rebecca

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 16:14 »
Hello Rivkele,
I could be just down the road from you! Courgettes are better left one per station, but melons and squash are OK to grow two in a 'clot', as they say round these parts, if you water and feed them enough.

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 16:26 »
imagine if the seed packet had 40 seeds, as per DD.'s advice seed would last for atleast three years and as per seed packet advice it will last for just one sowing. If it gets killed by frost then you have to run to the shop to buy it again  :). thats why they print like that. They need more money from you!  :mad:

And if you sowing direct then I would say one per hole and 5-10 in pots. seperately. replant if you didnt get any from the direct sown one. If all come good then sell the pots off for a good money :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 16:28 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 16:54 »
I put one seed in each pot, in the greenhouse till the risk of frost is past. Don't see a need to put two seeds in as germination is practically 100% and I always end up giving the spares away.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 19:08 »
I too only plant one seed per pot, as Aelf says the geremination rate is nearly 100% and considering if you get 10 seeds per pack and get only 50% germination then you have 5 courgette plants which will feed a family of four for many weeks, and a few neighbours too :lol:.
   I planted four plants last year and the produce lasted me for about 7/8 months, I've planted 2 more this year to stock my freezer during Jan/Feb and March.
   I love courgettes :)

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 19:12 »
Hi snoop, i'm just north of barcelona, not exactly down the road but not that far away  :D. Do you think the thing labeled "calabaza buen gusto" will be alright left 2 to a clot?

Prakash, i'm sure you're right! in future i won't give them the satisfaction (plus it pains my heart to nip out so many perfectly healthy little plants)

Next year i'll be planting 1 to a pot in paper pots and giving away any spares.
Thanks for the help guys :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 19:18 »
Mind you, most of the packets of seed that I buy in Spain/Portugal are significantly cheaper than those sold in the UK and have far, far more seeds in them.

SS

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 19:52 »
same for  pkts of Francci  seeds from 'Seeds of Italy'..............the packets cost the same as UK suppliers, but have loads more seed in. A big plus for them :)

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 14:17 »
Hi snoop, i'm just north of barcelona, not exactly down the road but not that far away  :D. Do you think the thing labeled "calabaza buen gusto" will be alright left 2 to a clot?

I've not grown calabaza buen gusto before. I've just looked them up on the Web and I notice the instructions are six to eight to a hole. They don't mention thinning out! I wouldn't do that but very successfully grew squash and melon last year two to a clot, which I was advised to do by one of the locals here.

If you train the plants round in a circle as they grow (make sure you leave space to get in to water them and use a cane or other indicator to mark where they're growing from so you know where to water), you should be able to keep them relatively compact. I'm no good at maths these days but have just tried to work out the square metres of the irregularly shaped patch where I planted mine last year. If I've done my sums right, I had a courgette plant, five squash plants and nine melon plants in an area of about 15 square metres. The squash and melons were all entangled but not cramped.

rivkele

• vo quartet
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 19:13 »
ok, cool, calabazas 2 to a clot and courgettes 1. i shouldn't have problems with space for them to spread out into, i haven't planted very much this year, just some tomatoes and salad stuff, (4 month old baby taking up a lot of my time at the moment :)) so there's a whole "tier" of a small tiered vege garden for them to occupy.
thanks for your help, snoop. You've made me think about melons and i'm now considering planting a couple of them too :D

Elcie

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 20:35 »
I do the same as DD - 2 per pot.  Only I'm not so good at pinching out the weakest and end up potting 2 on and then giving some away to Freecycle/friends!

I would never sow 8 per station as they are pretty reliable.  Maybe for the smaller seeded varieties like tomatoes, but even then 8 is a lot. and a big waste of seed.

xx
Growing squashes / pumpkins in hole in plastic / weed supressant?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 12:03
by HLS
xx
Pumpkins and courgettes

Started by emmalm on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 11:24
by muntjac
xx
courgettes, pumpkins, squashes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 22:01
by gavinjconway
xx
Anaemic pumpkins and courgettes

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 19:46
by franmeerkat

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 38 queries.