Anyone with a broody hen?

• 4 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Anyone with a broody hen?
« on: May 25, 2010, 23:31 »
Hi.  I brought 2 x day old chicks for my broody hen (legbars so I know they are female) however she rejected them.  They are now 2 days old (hatched midday Saturday ) and under an infra red lamp in my spare room.  Does anyone have a broody who might take them or does anyone have any advice as to whether I should try to put them back under the hen.  Having attacked them Sunday morning  I took them away and kicked her out with the other hens.  She spent all Sunday afternoon sunbathing and dust bathing and then took up her position in the  nest and hasn't let anyone near her since!  Seems she was OK to sit on the chicks Saturday night but took fright on Sunday morninng when they moved!!  I thought I might try again on Thursday evening by bringing her into the garage in the dog crate and leaving her for 24 hours with the chicks (under the lamps) nearby so she could hear them cheeping for 24 hours.  Put them under her again late Friday night so I can keep a very close eye on her all Saturday.  My thinking is that they will be that little bit more robust if she does have a go at them. Any thoughts or are they too old by then?

Hens.....worse than teenagers!!!  lol

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone with a broody hen?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 23:34 »
sorry ment to add I'm in North Kent, near Dartford if anyone does have a broody who might take them...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 23:27 »
If I still lived in Crayford, I'd take them for you as I have about 7 broody's at the moment, but I'm a bit far away now I live in lincolnshire!!!   :(

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 23:38 »
Thanks Annie... I'm going to try again this weekend...well Friday night.  They will be 6 days old by then but the broody has continued to sit form and nothing will budge her.  I figured if I could get them under at night and then watch her like a hawk on Saturday it may work.  They are growing very fast and are that littl bit more robust if she does have a go at them...plus I tend to leave a gap for them to escape if necessary!  will post update at teh weekend

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 23:53 »
It may work on a second try.

I had two of my girls decide they were adopting my Poland chicks when they were two weeks old and I took them out for the first time for ten mins in the run in the garden! I quickly moved a girl into a broody coop and she took them in with her happily - couldn't believe it and was gutted I hadn't tried it when they were day olds (neither girl was broody at the time they adopted them!). For the next 6 weeks the other girl paced the run on the broody coop all day looking most put out that she wasn't also in with "her" chicks with her sister (silkies are sooooo daft...)

I'd keep a very close eye and try the introduction as you mentioned, fingers crossed for you  :)

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 29 queries.