5 chicks have hatched,one egg left and overdue one day?

• 2 Replies

Missie

Hi,I have 5 chicks which are fine but one egg has not hatched yet,I am sure i can hear movement inside but no chirping or chipping, they were actually due Yesterday but 3 came out the day before and one other in the night,when should I start to worry or maybe assist hatching-only if I really need to.

any advice would be very much appreciated.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: 5 chicks have hatched,one egg left and overdue one day?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 14:52 »
Chicks can hatch a couple of days late but if the others are out you need to think about this. I guess it depends on your feelings about interferring. Many feel that the hatch is natures fitness test and those that can't make it should be left as they are likely to be weak. I have to say that I tend to help out if needed as my ducks as pets as well as livestock and an incubator is not a normal environment. I have only ever had one that has a deformity that meant I had to cull it. The rest have been indistinguishable from their peers.
I probably would have a look at helping out the last one if it has made a start by making a hole at the airsac end. It was interesting to see that huge automated hatcheries do this routinely. If the chick is alive and trying to get out you can gradually open the shell by picking away at the edge of the hole. Stop if there is any signs of bleeding an leave it at least an hour before trying again.
Be prepared that if the chick is deformed or too weak to survive you will have to cull it an if you can't face doing that then you are better just leavingthe egg alone and seeing what happens.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

22fox

Re: 5 chicks have hatched,one egg left and overdue one day?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 18:14 »
thats very interesting my eggs are 5 eggs are at 23 days and no sign =( They are being sat on by my broody maybe i should make a small hole?
I<3exbatts

question
Chicks hatching - mother now left nest after only a couple hatched

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 10:12
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
2 chicks hatched

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 08:34
by Bobbie
xx
Hatched 2 chicks

Started by Geo on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 21:40
by Geo
xx
New Chicks hatched

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:30
by evie2

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 28 queries.