Garlic finished?

• 3 Replies

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
Garlic finished?
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:24 »
How do you know when garlic is ready to be lifted? Had some in over winter and is coming along very nicely alongside the onions. Does it go yellow and fall over like the onions or am I looking for something else? Having planted them in October, the packet (and hence any hope of advice there) is long gone!!  ::)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Re: Garlic finished?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:21 »
According to my instructions from the Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight (where I bought my garlic last year), the plant needs to flower first. Then cut off the flowering spikes and use them in stir fries, and when the leaves wilt and die the garlic is ready. This is my first year growing it though, so I am only going by instructions. If anyone out there is more experienced in the growing of garlic, please share!!

My over wintered garlic is starting to droop now and looks as if it is almost ready, but it is due for harvesting in June. My instructions also say NOT to water 2 weeks prior to harvest, so I have stopped now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38 »
cut the flower off if you get one.........but hopefully you won't, as these bulbs are thick necked and don't store as well :(
and garlic doesn't follow a set time table according to when planted, the weather has a big say in when they are ready, and I think this winter will have delayed them.
and yes they look pretty much like onions do when they are ready  :)

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06 »
I think I am right in saying that hardneck varieties always flower. Softneck varieties such as Solent Wight only a few. Someone else may know more about this.

Garlic is best lifted when the tops have yellowed. If you leave them to die right back there is a danger that the bulbs will split the outside skins and if it is wet they may rot.

xx
Bed 3 is Finished!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 18:09
by Glen
xx
I have finished digging !!!!!!!!!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 04:03
by Trillium
xx
Have my Peas now finished

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:51
by Babstreefern
xx
Finished plants....???

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:50
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.652 seconds with 38 queries.