Transplanting beetroot

• 17 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Transplanting beetroot
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:08 »
I'm a newbie to growing beetroot but as an allegedly experienced grower of others things I sowed the seeds carefully, thinly, and evenly and after a slow start they are growing away quite nicely.

"You-know-whose" law has of course made a mockery of my efforts and some seedlings are growing virtually on top of each other, elsewhere there are gaps!

Can the thinnings be transplanted successfully? (variety is Chioggia Pink, by the way.)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

Re: Transplanting beetroot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:24 »
Are they in cells or the ground?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:15 »
In the ground.

My soil is very light and I'm sure they'll come out easily enough without damage; just a question of whether they will grow properly after being moved, I guess.  :nowink:

noshed

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:19 »
They will be fine, just handle them gently by the leaves and water them in well. Make sure they don't dry out in the first week or so. I always water my seedlings with seaweed fertiliser or comfrey tea just to help them get over the shock but I'm not sure this makes that much difference.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:19 »
The only way i could see it working is if you took some soil with them too, they dont transplant very well, especially in this warm weather.
The only other way is to start some in cells and fill the gaps that way.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:22 »
Why not just stick some seed in the gaps and keep them watered until they emerge?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35 »
Why not just stick some seed in the gaps and keep them watered until they emerge?

Just seems a shame to chuck away the thinnings if they can be used to fill the gaps.  ;)

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:02 »
yes i transplanted last year 100% took well

Cazzy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:09 »
Apparently beetroot seeds are actually little pods with several seeds in them, which is why you get them clumping on top of each other.

I've never grown them before either, just transplanted mine the other week and it didn't seem to bother them one bit.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:43 »
I used to thin mine, and yes, they will grow, but I found transplants never did as well as the ones that started in the ground. Now I simply leave them to grow and be sure to pull out the first larger ones so the remaining have a chance to grow on. It's not to late to stick in a few seeds into your empty spots for some baby beets later. You'll find in the warmer weather now that they'll sprout quickly.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:58 »
Transplanted some bolt hardy beetroot thinnings last year.  They did stay pretty small.  I prefer my beetroot to stay under golf ball size so they were perfect. 

In an attempt to "dwarf" my beets this year I've grown them on in cells and transplanted again bare rooted (i.e. not in their compost cell).  First batch of 24 went in on Saturday evening, and on checking in on them last night, all look pretty good.  I've planted another 36 in very small cells and I'll do the same to them in a few weeks.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

starry

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 13:28 »
I usually just fill the gaps and any that are clumped together I leave it dosent seem to make any difference to the beetroot a few odd shapes maybe but thats it I grow tons of it my husband is beetrrot crazy  :wacko:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 15:15 »
I transplanted mine last year with no problems had a decent crop, then due to slug damage had the same issue this year - large gaps and lots of clumps. So last week I transplanted those that were clumped into the gaps and again they are growing fine.

Seems it depends on whether you want large beets or not!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 16:18 »
I'm sorry Jay a bit off topic  ::) but can anybody recommend a good variety to grow big for roasting, don't care much for small beetroots in salad but I do like them roasted  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 16:24 »
My Bolthardy have grown to 6" plus in the past. I don't like beetroot, but grow it for others. I've had repeat orders for these large ones boiled, sliced & pickled, so they obviously don't go woody!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
transplanting beetroot - help needed

Started by manna on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 19:35
by manna
xx
Transplanting?

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 21:47
by muntjac
xx
transplanting at last.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:52
by agapanthus
xx
Transplanting?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:01
by Kristen

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 30 queries.