Innoculations etc

• 3 Replies

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Innoculations etc
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:00 »
We have just bought four newbies at 10weeks old, not a good breeder though I have to say and when questioned about the girls health was advised they have had no innoculations or any treatment.  So I need advise, they seem in good health, eating and drinking and running around.  What do I need to do to keep them healthy.  any advise would be good thanks alison

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Innoculations etc
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:15 »
most small breeders do not innoculate as the vaccines come in doses of 1000 (and most of us only hatch a few at a time) this does not make the breeders bad. Also unless the vaccines are administered correctly then they will not work as one of our members found out last year - he has lost all but one of his hens and the remaining one now appears to be a carrier so she can never have another hen as company  :(.
It is too late to get yours vaccinated so you need to provide good quality feed, have good animal husbandry, worm 2 or 3 times a year and also treat for mites and lice etc periodically.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:50 »
Many would advocate good husbandry and much much more space than commercially given to chickens and then it is not so necessary to vaccinate. Vaccinations are necessary commercially because of the unnatural and cramped conditions in which they are kept. Even if vaccinated they can still get the diseases although it is not so likely. Having found out more about it through this site it is not something I worry about. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 19:08 »
Thank you Sassy and Joyfull won't worry then.   I thought they all had to be innoculated as my last lot had loads before I got them.  No problems with good husbandry seeing as my husband says he would get better treated if he moved in with the girls.  Well he can look after himself after all, plus he doesn't lay eggs for my breakfast!

xx
Innoculations

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 07:33
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 29 queries.