Too late to plant spring onions?

• 4 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Too late to plant spring onions?
« on: May 19, 2010, 13:36 »
Am I too late to start growing spring oions? I have a small bit of ground which has become spare unexpectedly as OH has moved some plants that he was "holding" there. If I am too late does anyone have any other idea?

I already have under way
potatoes
broad beans
french beans
peas
carrots
salad leaves
strawberries
gooseberries
tomatoes to go out later
courgette to go out later

I absolutely hate radishes, and neither of us like cauliflower so please dont suggest those!!
I do have packets of corn on the cob seeds, parsnip, sprouting brocolli, chillis and peppers but realise that the last two really need greenhouse conditions and I don't have a greenhouse!

Lardman

Re: Too late to plant spring onions?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 13:51 »
Back of my packets say "sow from March to August" So I should think you'll be fine as long as its spring onions you're after.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 13:58 »
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Off to shops when grandson wakes up (am babysitting today!) Thanks!  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 14:02 »
If you leave it as late as August they probably won't be ready till next spring  ;)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 14:13 »
Plenty of time.

Get the soil dug well and if you can, take out the stones.  A sifting rally makes a difference so does adding a bit of compost to the soil.  It keeps the soil soft and stops it from making a pan.

You can sprinkle the seeds all over the surface of the soil or you can plant them in rows (which is best) about an inch between each onion.

Sow about a quarter of the seeds now and some more in another two weeks and so on.  This way you'll have a good supply through out the summer. 

The good thing about spring onions is that you can sow them all over the place in small patches and as long as you mark them up properly, keep the soil from drying out too much and keep them well weeded you always have a small crop ready.

It won't hurt to get those sweetcorn seeds in too.  Sow it indoors now and you'll be able to get it planted outside in a few weeks.

Search for sweetcorn on this forum there are lots of good tips for the first timer.

PSB should be sown now indoors around now.  Some people will tell you that they have had their PSB in for weeks.  It doesn't matter, this stuff crops in March 2011.  You can take your time, but remember it does most of its growing during our warm months.

If you don't want to bother with the spring onions I find that dwarf sunflowers are great for filling small spaces.  You can get the seeds on line from the regular places or on ebay.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
Can i still plant out Spring Onions

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 09:26
by strider84
xx
how to plant spring onions

Started by sprinkler1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 20:35
by Motivator
xx
Is it too late to plant 'Autumn planting' onions?

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 16:31
by DD.
xx
Is it too late to plant 'Autumn planting' onions & garlic?

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 17:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.671 seconds with 30 queries.