Courgettes

• 29 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Courgettes
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:41 »
Ok bare with me it might be abit confusing.

About 4 weeks ago i planted 4 courgette seeds in pots (Diamant Variety) in my outdoor unheated green house, i figured they would be allright because it's quite sheltered and the temp doens't seem to get that cold even when it's below freezing outside they didn't germinate so i figured i'd jumped the gun and it was too cold after all.

2 weeks ago i planted 4 more, this time i planted 2 different varitys that where also different variety's to the first lot as i got given some F1 Yellow courgettes and some "All Green Bush" These i kept inside on a sunny window sill and these haven't germinated either!!

Totally confused, thats 3 varietys, 8 seeds and not one germination?? Idea's? 

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:46 »
Same here - 2 germinations out of 10 seeds, left indoors for 3 weeks, Mixed varieties. All seeds were bought a year or two ago, but I would have thought they would still be viable.
Organic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:54 »
they usually do come up quite easily, but they do like warmth to germinate, and don't keep the compost too wet as they rot off.
Have you got anywhere warmer to start them, it may help? Other than that wait till June when they can (normally) start them off direct outside :)

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58 »
Well my second attempt the F1 yellow and green bush are brand new packets my friend bought and gave me seeds out of.  Tbh i had 100% germination rate last year so im really suprised.

It's quite warm where i have them on the window sill, during the day the sun comes right though that window and at night, though the temp drops a bit but it doens't get too cold as its my bedroom and i like it toastie haha .

I have cuc's , toms and squash all in the same place and they are all doing fine.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03 »
mice got all mine early on  could mice have got yours too

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:16 »
Nar the seeds are still there if i push the soil away i can see them.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:17 »
Hi we found that some of our seed planting was not getting good results so changed our compost from B&Q and things are going very well now. Just a thought.

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:20 »
Oh maybe thats it they are all in the same compost, though the cuc's and squashs didn't seem to mind.

ex-cavator

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:22 »
I sowed some All Green Bush variety a few weeks ago and kept them in a plastic cold frame inside my conservatory where it didn't get too cold at night, and had absolutely zero success - likewise with my runner beans. My son did similar at his house and all of his courgettes and beans came up. The difference? - I used El Cheapo seed compost courtesy of the local Poundstretcher store, he used John Innes.
So I bought some John Innes and sowed another lot of courgettes and runners, and Lo and Behold - most are now coming up  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:23 »
I had dreadful results last year using B&Q compost, it may just have been a bad batch but I'm not going to use it again
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47 »
It could be lack of warmth. Courgettes like a gentle warmth under them to encourage germination as do pumpkin and squash.  The John Innes compost is soil based so maybe your seeds rotted off in the cold conditions.

I put mine in the other day with bottom heat from a heated prop and they were up the next morning (in general purpose compost)  You can pop the lid on overnight

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 16:25 »
Okie trying again, i've been out and bought some john innes for seedlings hopefully that will do the trick. I've planted one of each type in a pot if they come up i'll plant another set.

Another Courgette question, i've heard of people doing them in Pots, arn't they abit awkward for pots? last year was my first year growing anything and i had my courgettes in the soil direct but im currently looking at stuff to fill some asda flower buckets. Arn''t courgettes kinda un-weildly for pots.. just thinking they where kinda sprawly (technical term honest) but not in the same way my cuc's where as the main stem was thick and inflexable.. don't them make a pot tip over?

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 18:42 »
had a whole tray fail too  :(  did the same as last year, the difference is the temperature I think...it is darn cold folks!
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 19:18 »
Same here, had mine in a mini non-heated propagator thing, inside plastic greenhouse.  Was over that cold snap so brough them in 4 days ago into house.  STILL nothing.  Seeds are there and dont seem soft / rotten.

Getting frustrated now as I lurve my courgettes  ::)

think I will try different compost - using peat free stuff.  Its decent and have used it succesfully for other things, but I'll try anything now!

Elcie

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 19:23 »
They work ok in pots as long as the pot is big enough.  Had some success last year with courgettes in pots, no tipping over either!

xx
courgettes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 15:07
by gypsy
xx
Courgettes ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 12:08
by Allotment Angel
xx
Courgettes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:47
by Pompey Spud
xx
courgettes

Started by ciderman on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 22:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 39 queries.